1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Jun 19, 2008.

1. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

So I am currently the SE at my college paper. Great right? Well, we print once a week in the summer and have enough content to fill about three inches.

Our paper is five columns wide and 15 inches tall. We run two pages in the summer. The back page of the paper and the inside. I have a few columnists who are interested in writing over the summer, my question to all of you pro's...

How many columns can be in a sports section without it feeling and looking absolutely ridiculous? I've said 2 is the max. I have had people tell me that three is okay, but that sounds absurd to me.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Columns in college usually felt awfully lazy to me ... no interviews required, just watch the NBA Finals/Draft/Sportscenter and scrape together a cliched opinion.

Find an alum or two from your school playing a pro sport somewhere and write a feature.

Who from your area or your school is qualifying for the Olympics?

Your football team is certainly practicing somewhere ... tell me about what they're up to.

Any significant sporting anniversaries at your school in the coming year?

'Where are they now' type stuff?

Any facilities improvements happening this summer?

3. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Yea, we only allow one columnist to write about topics outside of our college sports teams. Because yes, that is rather lazy. Besides, who cares what a 19 year old has to say about the MLB All-Star Game? But, most people seem to care what that same 19 year old has to say about the star QB he partied with last weekend after the game against Big Rival University

Thanks for the ideas, too. I didnt even think about sporting anniversaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted