1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how much does college choice matter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BostonCeltz, Jul 13, 2006.

1. BostonCeltz

BostonCeltz Guest

for example, I am entering Western Connecticut State University, which I picked over UConn for a few reasons, mainly because of size and location. is that going to come back to haunt me in the future or do newspaper bigwigs realize that the individual and their ability matter way more than pedigree?

thanks

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

get internships and get experience at daily papers in the area. write as much as you can on as many subjects as you can. if you have good clips and some contacts, you should be fine. and don't act like your shit don't stink.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Doesn't matter at all. I went to a 1,100 person school and have been in the business full time for four years now.

4. BostonCeltz

BostonCeltz Guest

thanks for the advice...but im not acting like anything, because quite frankly i still have tons of work to do.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i know, and wasn't saying that to be a dick. was just a word of caution. good luck with everything. work your butt off and you'll do just fine.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

Don't know much about either school's journalism program, but there probably isn't a huge difference. One advantage to going to Connecticut would have been the opportunity to cover a major athletic program and to network with the beat writers, who might have helped you land a job. But again, you don't have to go to a major university to make it in this industry.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter unless you went to Missouri. Then, I absolutely will not hire you.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

You might end up in a better spot just starting out if you go to a big-time school like Missouri, Columbia, Syracuse or Harvard, just because of the reps those universities have and the contacts you make there. But if you're good, smart and hardworking, you'll be fine. Besides, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth went to Western Conn. State, so there you go.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wish I had gone to Rhode Island School of Design. I might have wound up in Talking Heads.

10. sellmate

sellmate Guest

All that matters is that you get your experience. You can write for a small paper or big, which I do, but your effort and talent are what matter.
    Your college doesn't matter. Just because Tim K-jerkin went to the same college doesn't make you a good writer. I've seen some of the best writers at little papers. But then again Angola! states that he went to a small college and he's had four-years experience. So what! Any jerk can work in the industry. Think this: If you want to work in the industry, no matter what, do it. If you want to make money, get out.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Good ones do, but far too many don't. College degrees, especially from "big name schools," are overrated. Some of the worst people in this biz have degrees from schools with well-known journalism programs. Ultimately, though, having a degree from anywhere makes it light years easier than not having one. If you prove yourself, you'll do fine.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We are all proud of you that you work for a big paper. Thank you very much for gracing us with your presence.

Draft saved Draft deleted