1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does AP pay?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by L.B. Hooligan, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're not hired!

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The list shows top minimum pay levels. In other words, if you've been at AP for six years the lowest it can pay you is $1,170. However, there are also differentials for working in different size/location bureaus and merit pay above the minimums for top performers.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is now. I do know that after the last time I took the test (which was several years ago), I was notified I was placed in the candidate pool and if I was hired the starting base pay would be 726 per week plus any applicable local supplement. I would imagine it has gone up since then, but if the base after six years is 1,170, I wouldn't think by much.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine is the No. 2 guy in a big, but not huge city. He's been there a couple years and he's making close to $70K.

It's a lot of work, but travel isn't that common unless you have one of the national jobs...

Draft saved Draft deleted