1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does a car starter cost?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, May 14, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

once owned a z28 camero back in the day. rapped that bad boy every time i started it for a month. funny thing is the starter wasn't bad. it was the fly wheel.

2. Get it checked out first.
    If it is the starter you will hear nothing but a click - rapid clicking - when you turn the key. You migth also check the fuel pump. Turn the key but not to start and listne for a "whirring"sound. That should be the fuel pump. If you don't hear that sound, you need a new fuel pump.

Tapping the starter will work more than once, several times actually.
    Don't buy a new starter. You can save money, buy purchasing a rebuilt starter, which is just as good.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

$345.12. I paid for one for our 2000 Camry yesterday ... that included labor costs and some new wiring that also was needed.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Dealer said it would be $500. I would have to bring it in and it would take a few hours.

I shopped around. My father had one put in his car and I used that guy. He asked when worked for me. I said the sooner the better. He asked what time I said the morning. He came the next day at 8 a.m. Said it would take an hour. He was done at 9 a.m. Total cost $200. Pretty happy with that experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted