1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Did You Pay For Whiskey Today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I like Maker's neat. I like Maker's with ginger. Depends on the mood.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times ran an obit last week for John Karlin, an industrial scientist who worked for Bell Labs, and is credited with helping to design the telephone keypad, and introducing all-digit dialing.

It also described some of his earlier work:

I think the lower proof Maker's would have been a lot like the telephone cords. You wouldn't notice it unless you knew about it.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If Maker's Mark had been slowly lowering (and had been allowed to slowly lower) the alcohol content, I would agree with you. This is a relatively steep drop for a whiskey so often served neat.

4. YankeeFan

I guess we're going to agree to disagree.

I don't think a drop from 45% to 42% is very big or noticeable. I'm guessing -- and the article says they did -- they did some research.

Now, did they test the right people, their biggest fans? I don't know, but the founder's son says the taste is the same.

And, don't get me wrong. I think it's a bad decision. A disastrous decision that will turn off their most enthusiastic customers.

5. YankeeFan

Here's what one of their competitors has to say:

Julian Van Winkle ‏@jvanwinkle4

Maker's 84? This is a great example of how the bean counters can hurt a brand. Bill Samuels,Sr, Pappy, my Dad are spinning in their grave!

Old Rip Van Winkle has taken the exact opposite course. It's hard to find. Bars boast when they get some of it in stock. Websites track the bars that have it.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's close to a 7% drop, so if you drink it neat AND you're pretty familiar with the taste, I bet you'd notice it. On the other hand, if you serve it over ice (and/or with water) you starting to add some additional sources of variation to the mix. Wouldn't surprise me to find that those drinkers wouldn't notice the change.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Pappy Locator via eater.com:

http://eater.com/archives/2012/11/29/the-eater-pappy-locator-where-to-find-pappy-right-now-1.php

Couple of months old, but still.

8. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

As a Maker's Ambassador, this is disheartening

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. It's a huge gaffe in public relations. Let's break bourbon into five tiers:

Tier 5: Well-aged, highly crafted bourbons. Think Pappy Van Winkle or whatever else might get Wright Thompson all goosebumpy.
    Tier 4: Specialty bourbons. We're talking small batch, single barrel, special barrel, etc. This is the stuff most people call "the good stuff."
    Tier 3: Neat, water or ice bourbons. This is the stuff you don't need to mix to really enjoy. Knob Creek is a good example.
    Tier 2: Cocktail bourbons. These choices are respectable enough but work best for mixing purposes. Think Jim Beam.
    Tier 1: College kids' and hobos' bourbons: The dogshit flavor of the area.

So Maker's Mark was pretty much the top dog in Tier 3, the most popular choice in that tier if not the best. Then they started with this shortfall. They theoretically could have driven themselves up in price a little and encroached on Tier 4 territory. Instead they watered the shit down and now, even though they probably still belong in Tier 3, many people who hear about this are going to value them as a Tier 2 bourbon. And at the price they're charging, you want a Tier 3 bourbon.

Knob Creek and others must be giddy.

10. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Ewww Tier 1 ... vomits

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Kentucky Gentlemen is the standard-bearer for Tier 1.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd rather drink hillbilly moonshine aged in a plastic bike bottle.

Draft saved Draft deleted