1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much did you get for your last pay raise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Still a Bulls fan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Raise? I asked for that once. It ended with me looking like that Chinese guy in the ad at the top of the page. :-\

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Is the question first raise or most recent raise?

In my first real daily paper job, in 1979, my first raise was from $175 a week to $200. That's what, 14 percent?

We just signed off on raises of, basically, 4% for most of our staff.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just got a raise last week ... up $1.33. Yeah, I'm happy.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not enough.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

All I have to say is that sports writers pay raises are not commiserate with their vast knowledge and for the unbelievable good natured people that they are. Not to mention how they always tell the story straight without any malice or bias.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Either IN is trying to get in our good graces or he just discovered the hidden sarcasm font.

My last raise was I think 3 percent, give or take a fraction. I'm salaried, which is always fun when you put in a 60-hour week. If I worked 40 hours a week, it'd be something like 48 cents an hour. So the effective raise is probably less than that (they're not always 60-hour weeks, but they're almost always at least 40).

Draft saved Draft deleted