1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much did you get for your last pay raise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Still a Bulls fan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

On the off chance my boss will see this thread, the above post was not meant as bitching, merely that I wouldn't mind rectifying that situation in the near future.

Neither would my bill collectors.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A raise probably won't chase away bill collectors. Paying the bill usually takes care of that.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Three percent...just like it has been every year for the past four years...

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In my first year, I got a $4,000 raise, but that was during economic good times. I doubled my pay within three years from my beginning pay (I did switch shops in there).

Sadly, I haven't been able to maintain that clip. In fact, since my wife stays at home, our overall household income is probably lower than its ever been.

I accepted identical pay to come to my current stop from my last one, but I'm much, much happier for doing it. Sometimes money isn't everything.

Since I've been here, I think the raises have been in the 2 percent range, not standard for most businesses, but sadly pretty standard for our business.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ah...but a raise would allow me to pay some bills while still maintaining my heroin habit.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You need to talk to your smack Daddy then.
    Head to Sheetz for a little smackachino.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My most recent pay raise - which was last week - was $22 a week- before taxes and 401k deduction.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

CR, honestly, make it fucking happen. This may be the only time anyone bends over backwards to give you a job and money. You're too young and naive to think this is something so extraordinary right now. But it is. Now you're just being stupid and stubborn.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

He's got a point. I made pennies working at a daily rag during college because someone stuck out his neck for me. That measly job helped get me to where I am today.

I gave up making big bucks working in the streets, er, restaurants.

10. Backtoschool

Backtoschool New Member

Do people still get real raises in our profession?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When I left my last paper, I made less then than when I started there. That's the wonder of ever-increasing insurance costs and adding a child to the benefits. Oh yeah, and no freaking raises, either.

At my new job/career, I recently got a 13.3 percent pay raise.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In some places a raise is like a kiss from Judas. Here you go, and then bam, you're fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted