1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much are VCU and Butler covered during the regular season?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was watching the first game and wondering if either team had a beat writer that traveled to every game. I tend to doubt it, but I am curious. I'm talking every game, not just select conference games or big games. Is either team regularly covered on a daily basis?

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Can't speak for Butler, but the Times-Dispatch covers all of VCU's home games and most of their road games (it helps that the CAA is an easily navigable league -- everything's either a short drive from Richmond or a flight to a hub city). They travel unless it's something like Maui or the West Coast, or there's a crossover season issue. Nobody outside Richmond pays them any mind.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Indianapolis Star has increased its Butler coverage in the last 10 years. Not sure if its traveling to every single game (they might be), but its definitely more than the near-zero coverage Butler got in the past.

Past that and the Indy TV and radio outlets, no one regularly covers Butler and no one should. Butler interest, outside of these Final Four runs, is close to nonexistent elsewhere in the state.

4. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Star has done every Butler game, at least this season.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Indianapolis Star's Web site design has underwhelmed me big-time throughout this Butler run.

Check it out: "Shelvin Mack leads Butler into title game."

Sounds like an Onion version of a NYT headline of a huge event.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In their defense...the Star's website is always underwhelming.

I think Butler has gotten very good coverage this year, but for their audience mediocre IU teams are much bigger news.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No excuse not to travel now.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There'$ alway$ an excu$e not to travel.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

What schools do the Richmond paper cover? VCU, Richmond, UVa? VaTech?

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

If the Indy Star isn't covering Butler every game (give or take the snoozers in nonleague) after the run the Bulldogs made last year, then they missed the boat big time.

Matt Stevens and the Butler players seem to handle themselves well on TV, so I'm guessing they've have plenty of interview experience.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

VCU is the pro team of Richmond. It amazes me they don't play football.

Richmond football is big in the fall, but no one from Richmond goes to Richmond. It's sort of like UNC/Duke where northerners go to Duke/Richmond and people from Virginia/NC attend UNC/VCU.

There is a little bit of Virginia State/Virginia Union coverage, but in Richmond, it's VCU-Rbraves-UofR-Tech-UVa.

Actually, it's a pretty crappy sports town when you think about it and consider the size (a million people) of the metro area.

Draft saved Draft deleted