1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many will Bonds hit?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The Professor is my second favorite pitcher of all time. I cheered out loud at my office when he got Bonds looking last night.

Bonds can't reach for anything low and away either. His "wheel house," much like I assume his testicles, is very, very small now.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Low and away or inside, Bonds flails away like Neifi Perez.

It befuddles me that teams won't pitch to Bonds.He's living off his reputation now; he's no longer the most feared hitter in the game, and the Giants are piss-poor. He'll make out more often than pop one out.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, I know he's said he's not playing much longer ... and I know he's likely to be injured any day now ... but how many will Griffey finish with?

He's at 589 and could, if he stays healthy and keeps his current pace, finish the season with 600. He's averaged roughly 30 homers for the last three years and is playing in a bandbox. Would/could he play another three years and get to 700? He's only 37 now.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility he could go to the AL and play a few more years as a pinch-hitter. Could you make the argument that he's got more games in him because he's missed so many games? Does he have five more years in him? And if he does, how close could he get to Aaron and Bonds? Five years at 30 a year would leave him at 750.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not sure of a number, but I do think the Giants dump him by the end of August if he breaks the record.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dump him how? Just release him? Not happening.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How? He isn't going to clear waivers.

Edit: Dammit spnited.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds WILL NEVER hit another home run.

There, I said it.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Griffey, barring more injury, will finish with 650-ish homers. Which is unreal, very fucking cool.

It's possible he reaches 700, but no way he comes close to Ruth, and Aaron/Bonds is completely out of the question.

I think he's chasing Mays, and I think it'll be a helluva fun chase.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bonds will break the record. But he won't be a Giant next season.

San Francisco did all they could to distance themselves from him in the offseason. The only reason they re-signed him was that the sluggers they were interested in--Lee, Soriano--signed with the Astros and Cubs, and SF was left with no choice but to sign Bonds.

He wants to win a Series before he retires. They're rebuilding. The easiest thing for them to do is to let him sign elsewhere and rebuild around the young pitching and sign some reasonably priced FA hitters.

10. If a pitcher would ever grow a pair and send a fastball into his kneecap, we wouldn't have to be asking this question.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

See, I don't think that is "growing a pair." Pitchers should just continue to try and get him out. If pitchers always drilled players on opposing teams that their fans didn't like, it would be ridiculous.
    So, Yankees pitchers should try to intentionally hurt Ortiz and Manny? Red Sox pitchers should intentionally try to hurt Jeter and ARod? Braves pitchers should try to intentionally hurt Beltran?

12. Barry Bonds = Lucipher, Satan, Devil, Beast, etc.

Everyone else = No where close

Draft saved Draft deleted