1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many tater tots can you eat in 6 minutes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's the question I keep asking myself after signing up for a competitive eating competition.

At 6-feet-1 and 180 pounds I hope to take down 11 other locals competing at a local bars' third annual "Rock the Tot" competition.

The tot champion takes home a $250 gift card and free tots for a year -- not that anyone would want more tots after a tot eating competition.

Last year's winner, a gym owner, ate three pounds of tots. I don't know that I could eat three pounds of tots, but I think I could come close.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should train? My brother said I should drink a gallon of water each day to train, but haven't people died from that? Joey Chestnut trains by eating tubs of cottage cheese. Maybe I will try that.

How much should I eat the day of the competition? Do I want to stretch out my stomach? Or have nothing in it at all?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing all of your responses about how I am going to have a heart attack or need to take a giant shit after the competition.

By the way, competition is in 13 days. I will have water available.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Practice by driving up to Tony's in Birch Run and eating three orders of hash browns in that time. If you can eat three pounds of hash browns, you can eat three pounds of tots.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ore Ida sells a bag of tater tots that is about 2 pounds. I'm gonna start there. If I can do that, I think I will be hard to beat.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

We should be drinking a gallon of water every day anyway.

It won't kill you unless you chug it and then add another one or two during the day to get water poisoning.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I hope you have good health insurance.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I meant at once. I drink a ton of water daily.

And yeah I looked it up. You can definitely die from chugging a gallon of water.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think it will be a problem. I wouldn't be doing this competition if I were overweight and or worried about my heart exploding. I take good enough care of my body to be able to do this kind of stuff.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, now you've ruined it. I no longer picture you as Kevin, but I still read your posts as Kevin. This is just going to cause my head to explode.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The fact that I made a baconator should help you revert to thinking of me as Kevin.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Make another baconator and add tots liberally inside.

If that doesn't get you ready to eat a mound of tots, nothing will.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I would train by drinking a fifth of bourbon every night and missing work frequently.
    Smoking pot could also be a help.
    Chewing tobacco, reading comic books and playing Tetris = very helpful

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sometime in the next day or two, you should not eat anything until dinner time and then see how many tater tots you can eat right now. I would do this a couple times between now and the contest.

A fraternity brother of mine used to enter similar contests. He was a giant, like 6-8 and probably 400 pounds and while I saw him win a pizza contest once, the guy who won was usually a skinnier guy who could pace himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted