1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many mistakes should we be allowed to make???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ronalong, Oct 8, 2006.

1. deportes

deportes Member

this reads as though you want the old man's job, because the only thing i care about is if my competitors beat me to a story, not if they screwed up someone's name.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

The answer to your question is 6. We get 6 mistakes, and then we must join the sales staff of the Fuller Brush Company.

what a stupid fucking question. seriously.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The only thing that concerns me is that sometimes readers can't tell one paper from another and may think that you're the one who made the mistake or they think that the media is just one big entity and everyone publishes them same information and assume that if the big paper got it wrong, you got it wrong, too.
    I've had people confront me about quotes (accurate ones that they found objectionable, so even if I did use those quotes it wasn't my problem) that appeared in a different paper, saying I was the person who included them in the story.
    There was also a time when the day after a softball game that a team lost 1-0 when the pitcher threw a no-hitter (and I reported it as such after covering it in person) and the AD saw me at a baseball game and said "You know, out pitcher threw a no-hitter." I said I knew that and he told me he saw that it was reported as a one-hitter in the paper.
    It wasn't our paper and my story, however. It was in the big papers that the winning team called. The winning team's book had it scored a one-hitter (and I remember the play in question. It was clearly an error).
    Because of this, I can understand why somebody might be worried about another paper's mistakes. Sometimes the readers might confuse them for yours.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuck. One more and I get my Fuller case and start knocking on doors.
    When did this change? I thought it was eight? They pass an amendment somewhere that I missed?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

ronalong, I understand your frustration, but this isn't your problem. I see mistakes all the time in other papers, but I'm sure those same papers pick up our paper and see errors too. If the coaches in your area have a problem with it, tell them to call that other paper. As others have already said, this ain't your problem.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The previous message has been brought to you by Mouth Breathers Inc.

That's Mouth Breathers, for when being tactful just won't pay the rent.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If I called the competitors everytime I saw an error, I would need direct lines.

Oh, and Tom Petty is most definitely that 60-year-old. Not to out or anything.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Three ... oh, wait, that's how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

But seriously, don't feel sorry for that guy. Worry about making sure you don't make any mistakes.

10. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Wait, is that six over a certain amount of time, or altogether? 'Cause if it's the latter, I've been able to fly under the radar for quite some time.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm with U on this one Dye

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Me too, DP. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted