1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many great stories will we miss when newspapers go down?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

With the net so targeted, and with our interests so ingrained.... will we find the great, great "random" stories that are in the paper (or even the lively "brites" that bring a chuckle) online?

Front-page stories will be easy to track down. It's that good, eclectic collection of stuff inside that gets more dicey IMO.

2. amoney

amoney New Member

I still have yet to trip over one blogger on my way to cover city council.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Newspapers won't die. I think they might have a resurgence, too. Woodward this morning was telling Matthews (on CNN, I think) was saying it's just going to take someone creating the right business model again.

Then again, he was sitting next to a nail-chewing British lady who runs The Daily Beast, an on-line-only news rag that is confident it can be a news leader.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hell, I find those easier online than I do anywhere. Any of the sites like msn.com are filled with the "brites" or whatever. Plus, people here always seem to find the interesting little stories to post.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And there's aggregators like fark that point the way to unique/oddball stories. That's kinda the Intranet's strength.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

We will not know because we will be missing them, and we won't even be aware of it. After a while, that will just be the way it is.

People will get used to it/know no differently and probably won't care, because they won't be aware enough to do so.

Sort of like someone who doesn't hear something but doesn't know that because they never heard it in the first place.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

In other words, we'll miss all of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted