1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many gamers to include in clips?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by North61, Aug 17, 2006.

1. North61

North61 Member

I'm applying for a job at a mid-size paper and I've seen some clips threads that mention I should include up to six clips of stuff, though some posts say to not include gamers. I'm just looking for more feedback on this.

My breakdown would be

2 Features
    2 Gamers
    2 Design

Thoughts?

2. 85bears

85bears Member

Unless it's an amazing gamer, don't bother. If you're going to include deadline stuff, make it breaking news.

3. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

The answer to your question depends a lot upon the job for which you are applying. Is it a beat job? A GA job? A mixture of design and writing? How many days a week doing each?

In general, a hiring editor wants evidence you can do the job he or she needs performed. So think about that when you are writing your cover letter and selecting your clips. Think of your competition, too. What can you offer that others can't?

Definitely include breaking news, if you've broken any. Definitely include real enterprise work, if you've done any. Show that you can report AND write. Show that you can handle varied situations and story forms (eg. don't send six 60-inch features). Gamers? It depends on the job. If the job includes covering a lot of games, a hiring editor will want to see at least one gamer.

That's a start.

4. North61

North61 Member

That's good advice, Mike.

5. sartysnopes

sartysnopes Member

Here's an idea: instead of trying to break your clips down into categories like "feature" and "gamer," as if the two parts of a Venn diagram can't ever intersect, try breaking up your stories by the fashion in which you write them. For instance, you might have two eye-catching features, but if they're written the same way, you proved your point the first time. Pick something else and prove you're versatile as a writer.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck figuring out which clips to send on your own, just reach out and touch someone by giving the SE a call and ask him or her personally. yeah, that will work.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i only include one gamer. then a bunch of features with a couple of news stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted