1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many bowl games?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Jan 11, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Maybe one day there will be a playoff system for college football.
    Until then, the bowls are with us.
    It's 34 and counting right now.
    How many should we have?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

60, so everyone gets to go.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A bunch are going to fall off the table this year because of the economy. But there will no doubt be others to take their place.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

0. Zed. Zilch. Zip. Nada. { }.

Got that? :)

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

If Notre Dame (6-6) can go to a bowl game, you know there is a problem.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kevin, there were a lot worse 6-6 teams than ND in bowl games.
    That's why 90% of them or more mean nothing.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

bullshit, spnited. I know you were pumped to watch Northern Illinois play in Shreveport on a random Sunday night. JUST MAN UP AND ADMIT IT!

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not unless Obama is truly a miracle worker.

Of the current 34, 10-12 will bite the bullet within the next 2-3 years.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

34 bowl games have created a Plethora of Mediocrity for postseason play. I mean, come on, 6-6 teams getting into a bowl? i can hear the coach at the start of the season now: "okay, guys, if we're just a .500 team, we can be in a bowl game." i don't even know if 7-5 is worthy sometimes.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just waiting for the day when they waive the requirement that teams have to have winning records to go to a bowl game.

I used to watch every bowl game. I think I watched three this year and maybe had two others in the background. I was at dinner one night and FAU and some Michigan directional school were playing and I thought, "This is what it's come to."

If we're not going to get a playoff, make the bowl games mean something again. Cut the number of bowls to 15 or 20.

12. micke77

micke77 Member

15 to 20 would work.
    yea, i agree about how the "directional" schools being in these bowl games has sent the message of "enough is enough."
    here i am a sportswriter and i can't tell my friends--who think being a sportswriter, we know all things sports (right?)--who is in such and such game if they ask. there's too many to keep up with.
    and any of us out there who can name all 34 bowl games without looking at an AP agate "Bowls at a Glance" sheet? heck, i would be pressed to name half of 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted