1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long should it take to rip a DVD?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Nov 12, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've finally caught up to the rest of the petty thieves in the country and have decided to start copying all these DVDs I get.

So, I downloaded MacTheRipper and have begun dissecting my first victim -- The Boondock Saints.

Problem is, it's taking like 45 minutes. Am I doing something wrong?

2. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

How fast is your drive? It usually takes me around 12 minutes at the most to rip it, but then I still have to get all the files together, compress it and burn it. It usually takes about 30 mins to rip, compile and burn total.

If it's taking that long, it might be stumbling on some copy protection.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not really...it usually takes about 30 minutes for me, but I've got a pretty new drive on my comp. Not sure about the program you're using, but I've always had really good results with Handbrake.

4. three_bags_full

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember what speed this drive is. I've had it for about three years, now. Just a plain old MacBook.

It's ripping 4.12G, but I don't if that's normal.

You mentioned compressing the files. I understand that makes the files smaller (sort-of), but how do you do it? Define "compile" for me, please.

5. three_bags_full

OK, it just finished at 28 minutes.

6. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

That's not so bad. Sorry, I didn't put two and two together in that you're using a Mac. The programs I use are for Windows: DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink. The reason you have to compress it (typically) is because most DVDs sold hold between 8-9 GB of data, while most DVD-Rs only hold around 4.6 GB, so you have to shrink it down and also turn the files on the original DVD (.VOB, etc.) into an easier-to-burn format (here's what I meant by "compile"), in the case with DVDShrink, an .ISO file.

Sorry I can't be of more help with Macs, though :)

7. three_bags_full

Can someone run this through greekdooleyfish?

Seriously, thanks AZ. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

DVDDecrypter is the only software you need to rip (and then burn the rip) of DVDs with a PC. Unfortunately its no longer available.
    Not familiar with DVDShrink.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/
    http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

Of course, I endorse none of these methods. The Secretary will disavow any of your actions in the event that you are caught. This post will self-destruct in five seconds.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The note at the top of the second link is what made me think its no longer available: "As you may know, DVDDecrypter.com was shut down and development on it halted."

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

20-30 minutes is about normal.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the last shipping version is still available nearly everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted