1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Long Does It Take You To Write?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

No more than 25 minutes for everything.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

From first key stroke to last can mean a lot of things. Covering a game, anyone who doesn't write a little bit of running during the game isn't very bright. So the last key stroke can be 2 hours later.

But from the time I get from the locker room to the press room and sit down at my computer, I'd probably guess somewhere between 15-20 minutes.

Features are rarely written on deadline, but once the reporting is done, no more than an hour, give or take. Sometimes just a half-hour. I've found that in feature writing -- not counting the reporting and research -- more time is not better.

As for columns, again, a regular column doesn't take long because you picked the subject and you picked it because you have something to say. If you're doing a column off a game, then you're talking writing on deadline. Of course, you showed up well before the game and talked to the coach/manager/GM and the players. And it's probably not due till the end of the game, so you could probably take 3 hours total if you don't put the finishing touches in until the final result is in. And the column is not a game story, so it's mostly a state-of-the-team thing that doesn't rely totally on the game.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i'm always shocked how fast i write

definitely a point of diminishing returns for me

write it, read it, send it

Draft saved Draft deleted