1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Long Do You Plan On Working?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention this. One of my coworkers will be retiring Thursday and that's got me thinking about my future.

I definitely can't see myself keeping up this current level of craziness that long. Maybe another five years or so.

If I don't get much higher in this industry--and in my state all moves are pretty much lateral--I'm really going to have to face some tough decisions when I hit the big 30 in five years.

My heart is currently in what I'm doing right now but I don't want to be that old guy at the high school events covering preps. I just don't want to do that. The money sucks, the hours suck and, damn it, I'm eventually going to want to have kids and support them.

Where I'll go from there is anyone's guess at this point but I see myself working until well into my 50's, maybe later.

I want to be the type of person that spends his last 10 years or so seeing as much as I can before calling it a life.

Here's hoping that's still possible in 2050.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A friend of mine in the buz told me one time, "if the right six numbers come up tonight, I'll never write another word."

My response: "You'll have to sign checks and stuff."

Him: "I'll pay someone to do that for me."

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Not that I'm counting, but the time I've targeted to shut down the laptop for good is another 2 years, six months, 1 day, 8 hours, 47 minutes away.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Have a daughter in college so I feel sure I'll be working till 65. But it's not as if I'm working in a coal mine or something.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, they're dying for a 36-year-old with a bad knee and back whose most marketable skills are typing and spelling. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

I turned 38 a few days ago. If all goes well, I'll retire (at least from a full-time gig) in 20 years. I'm not married yet and have no interest in having kids, so my expenses are essentially room and board.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've thought about going at 62 ... less than two years ... but it probably makes a lot more sense to stay until 66 and collect max Social Security along with pensions from two papers I've worked for.
    Of course, there are days now when I feel like leaving work at the end of the night and just not going back.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll keep working as long as I can. This isn't exactly a high-impact job (unless you work for the Kearney Hub, I suppose), and it plays to the things I do well.

I don't plan on getting married or having kids, so until I check out after the inevitable heart attack in an empty apartment, I might as well keep doing what I enjoy.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm 54. I have one kid in college and another who will be there in two years. I will "retire" when I hit the cold, cold ground. I might need to earn a little money somehow even after that.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sigh ...

Given the trainwreck I have made of my finances through living like a millionaire for years, I'm afraid I'm going to go pretty much to 70, and I might need to do something else beyond that, too. On the other hand, I've stopped drinking and don't know how to have fun otherwise (except for perhaps golf), so retirement is going to be cheaper than hell. :)

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Retiring without drinking? Might as well die at the oar.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Welcome to Wal-Mart. Shopping cart?

Draft saved Draft deleted