1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before Notre Dame really gets in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Aug 19, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

This seems innocuous, kind of like the Leinart or Jarrett situations last year, but it seems like it's one thing or another out of that place right now (Zbikowski said, "You're watching 'Sports Dogs' on Channel X!"):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2554795

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow, this is a pretty blatant offense.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kent State is going to get screwed for this one...

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does Cleveland State play football?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No, but the basketball team will get another two years. I think they're on probation until 3,845 for being the Jesus to major college programs.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, they apparently swept the deal with Weis "suggesting" (Weis doesn't "suggest" anything to his players) that all his seniors with designs on playing in the NFL (which includes pretty much all of them) select an agent prior to the start of fall practice, purportedly to "reduce distractions" during the season, completely under the rug, so maybe the NCAA is drinking the Weis-Aid too.

It is, incidentally, a loss-of-eligibility violation for a college athlete to come to an agreement (and yes, a verbal agreement counts) with an agent to represent him while still participating in NCAA competition.

If I were Notre Dame, I would hire a really really good NCAA compliance officer, and tell him to follow Weis around 24/7, with a cell phone set on direct dial to the university president, since apparently either knowing the NCAA rule book, or following it, doesn't appear too high on his priority list.

Draft saved Draft deleted