1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long before it's OK to leave a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Feb 2, 2010.

1. FPH

FPH New Member

I started a new job not too long ago that is a long ways away from my friends and family. Because of some personal reasons I'm giving some serious thought to trying move back home if I can land a lead on a gig back there (far from a sure thing obviously). My question is how long do you need to stay at a job before it's appropriate to move on to the next one? I know it's every man for himself in this business, but I want to use these guys as references and don't want to have the rep as a job hopper. A year? Six months?

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I think it depends on the situation. I don't think there's really a "set" time limit for staying at a job. A potential employer will ask about why you stayed at a job for only a couple of months, but if you have a good answer, like that you wanted to get back home, missed your family, etc. I think that's certainly understandable.
    I also think that sometimes you really don't know what you're getting into when it comes to certain jobs. I mean it's not like you get to see what it's really going to be like on just an interview.
    I think you could use that company as references as long as you don't napalm any bridges and were generally a good person.
    You have to do what's best for you.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I quit my first job after a month. Place was a hellhole. Haven't regretted it a day since.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

After 90 days or so, you pretty much know what you're dealing with, from either the perspective of the employer or the employed.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's OK to leave at whatever point you've got a better job offer. ..even if it's a week later

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

They won't feel the need to keep you for a certain period of time so you should feel the same.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

If you're already asking yourself this question, chances are it's probably long past time to do so.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I had a similar dilemma at my first gig.
    I was four hours from friends, family and a woman and after a year and a half, left an then-traditional APSE Top 10 contender.
    One year after I left, I was near friends and family, the woman and I broke up. I was back at home with the parents, working at a golf course and have two full-time jobs that I was told were going to be mine never come through. I thought I had made the worst decision in my life.
    In the three and a half years since, my former paper canned most of its staff (terrible move by them, but it would have been me if I stayed) and I have a full-time job at a paper where, while I hate the higher-ups, love the work I'm doing. Oh, and in four months I'm marrying a girl I met three months after me and the ex broke up.
    Take your time with the decision. Make sure you're making it for the right reasons and not just temporary feelings. Have a backup plan in case you can't get a gig when you move back.
    Whatever move you make, you'll wonder what if. But don't let how long you've been at this job make the decision for you.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wfw

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. About two days after I accepted my current job, I got an interview request from another company. Better location, better pay, better traffic, better everything. I didn't get it, but if I would have gotten an offer, I'd have quit my current gig immediately. I would have felt bad, but not bad enough to stay.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The only pause I'd give is if your current paid moving expenses. Most places ask for a year. That seems unreasonable if they paid $500 or $1000 to move you.

Other than that, you have to do what's best. You can easily get away with moving to another job quickly if it's the only time you've done it.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

In this climate? Do what's best for your personal, professional and financial bottom line. Companies don't think twice about dumping good employees. You need to look out for yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted