1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is your region portrayed in pop culture?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Read the book, memorized the soundtrack, have done everything but see the play because it hasn't come near me and tickets are expensive. I'm hoping they'll make a movie version of it with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's not all we know. We know it's flat, wheat-filled, boring and has sucky football teams.[/mizzoufanboi]

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Really?? I'm pretty darned southern, and I've always felt she had the Steel Magnolia accent and mannerisms down -- the "thank yeewww soo much" bit. What did I miss?

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, really. It's an over-the-top caricature, and it rubs me the wrong way.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I grew up in the Tampa Bay area, and I'd have to say that most broad stereotypes about Florida are true. It's a giant, humid strip mall with tons of elderly people who live in gated communities and drive golf carts to the grocery store. The only major misconceptions I find are: 1) the entire state is like Miami, 2) we're mostly Jewish, when really the state's main religious views are an extension of the Bible Belt -- especially away from the coast -- and 3) Orlando is near the beach.

As for my most recent home, I really can't argue with Homer Simpson: "Alaska! Where you can't be too fat or too drunk."

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hers isn't that great. Sorry ... I know you have some background on this, but most Hollywood attempts at this are laughably bad.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I saw an episode of "The Closer" a while back that involved a guy who had murdered in El Paso, so naturally the El Paso lawman was dressed in a Cowboy hat a sort of western suit, hat a thick southern accent.
    I just sat there thinking "really?"
    Bad enough to have the southern sheriff stereotype, but then to top it off they made it sound like Texas is an execution-happy state, where anything and everything you do here gets you the chair.

YEE HAW!!!!!

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Worst ever was Nic Cage in Con Air. A dreadful film made much worse by his awful accent.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Arizona and New Mexico - bolo tie and cowboy hat
    Texas and Oklahoma - cowboy hat
    Colorado - Jean jacket with fake sheep wool collar or a down vest.
    Oregon and Washington - Lumberjacket, Army surplus jacket or a hooded light raincoat and beards.
    Florida and Hawaii - Tommy Bahama
    Kentucky to Virginia south to Florida - seersucker suit with suspenders, maybe a bow tie and or straw porkpie.
    Jersey, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Queens, Detroit, Staten Island and Philadelphia - wife beater, chains and maybe a bowling shirt.
    Bronx, Harlem - a hoodie
    Wall Street - pinstripes
    Iowa west to Nebraska north to Canada - jeans, t-shirt and John Deere cap
    Pittsburgh - Steelers gear and a hard hat
    New England - tweed, one of those fur-lined hats that Carter wore on Hogans Heroes (Vermont and New Hampshire) or a Red Sox cap, and if its south Boston an XXXL Celtics t-shirt with a Celtics hat cocked to the side.
    Everywhere else in America - one of those field coats that Scott Brown made famous.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"It's not often you see a Mexican in a suit."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No, but it does make the blur while driving across the state on I-70 at least remotely interesting.

12. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I'm originally from Alabama, so that says it all. I'm living in Idaho right now. I'd say the portrayal is that most people this this is Iowa.

Draft saved Draft deleted