1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is the NFL fining players for free speech legal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Oct 25, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, I've never covered a pro beat and I'm not very familiar with the NFL's code of conduct or what type of contracts these players play for, but I just noticed that Plaxico Burress got hit with a $20K fine for "inappropriate comments after the game on officiating."

Maybe you guys could explain it, but I've always wondered how this was legal. Is there some kind of NFL rule that prohibits this and, if so, couldn't a player simply refuse to pay this and sue the league for supressing their First Amendment rights?

Just seems to me that this is clearly illegal. Maybe I'm in the minority.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: How is the NFL legally fining players for free speech legal?

Collectively bargained by the NFLPA.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same reason a copy editor can get reprimanded for putting up an Obama or McCain button at their desk.

It ain't right, but it's legal. Who's going to stop 'em?

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Even worse what the Browns did to Kellen Winslow.
    The guy gets a staph infection (the Browns' sixth of late). They cite his privacy in not releasing any info, even letting rumors run that he had some sort of testicular problem. Then he complains about the team covering it up. So they suspend him.
    I'm sure the NFL has its reasons for this, but it looks pretty bad. Doesn't seem like a wise way to treat your talent, especially when you consider the many other things they let the talent get away with.

5. Starman

No, it's perfectly legal.

Burress has the legal right to say whatever he wants, and you have the right to put a campaign button on your desk. The employer has no legal obligation to pay you for doing so.

Especially not in the case of Burress, whose legal representatives (the NFLPA) have freely agreed to restrictions on those rights in exchange for other considerations ($$$$$).

6. schiezainc

Still, it seems to me that such a rule could be challenged in court on the grounds that it restricts the rights of said person.

Always catches me off guard.

Also, here's a question. Say you're on the Bengals. You're contract runs out. Before you resign or move on, you go into a 90-minute rant about the shitty refs in the league.

Are you still going to get fined? Even if you're technically not under contract?

7. schiezainc

Ok, how about this scenerio.

Let's say Burress really wanted to vent and scream about the refs but didn't want to pay the fine. He holds a press conference where he says "I have nothing to say yet." and his wife (or friend) gets up and rips into the refs, clearly expressing Burress' beliefs.

The comments would still attract the same amount of attention and anyone with a brain knows they're really coming from Burress. How would this be different?

8. Starman

Players' spouses, or siblings, or parents, or friends, can say whatever they want.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Get a job at the golden arches and greet customers with, "Welcome to McDonald's. The food here is poison" and tell management you're just exercising your Constitutional right to free speech.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing you'll still be turning in your polyester jacket.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He's got the right to say whatever he wants. He doesn't have the right to play football.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Jesus, some of you people seem to have no notion of what the Constitution says. The 1st Amendment is to protect us from sanction by the government for our free speech. It doesn't say anything about any restrictions we might agree to in an agreement with our employers.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Beat me to it. You would think a bunch of journalists would know what the First Amendment entails.

Draft saved Draft deleted