1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How interested are you in the Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The subject line pretty much says it all.

I am wondering in part how many share my lack of interest in the Super Bowl.

I live in an area that does not have an NFL team and there is no rooting interest for me in the game. I do not like the NFL now because of the terrible on-field behavior by too many players, demonstrated by such things as diving into the end zone when it is unneeded or holding up the ball some yards before reaching the end zone.

In recent years, my main interest in watching the Super Bowl has been because of the commercials, but I have found those disappointing for several years.

If I was writing something related to the Super Bowl on Sunday, I'd have more interest in it. I'll probably write one Super Bowl-related follow-up on Monday, on the television viewership, and possibly more, depending on the news.

I have little interest in just about anything in sports I am not writing about. How many of you feel the same way?

My plan is to set my TiVo unit to record the telecast, meet a female friend at the time the game will be in the second quarter, go bowling then out to dinner.

When I have time, I'll probably watch the telecast, fast-forwarding through the game to watch the commercials.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Extremely interested. Can't wait until kickoff. You invest all this time all season long, you want to see how it all turns out. Plus, it is what everyone will be talking about tomorrow. How often does that happen in the cable TV/iTunes age?

But more than that, the two teams still standing take the field with everything on the line.

Because so many games are meaningless in the grand scheme, particularly in this day and age when there are about 20 games on a day and even more if you buy a sports-specific satellite package, I get excited for the big games.

P.S. I am affected not a whit that occasional players dive into the end zone or hold the ball up in the air on the way to the end zone. Neither am I bothered that basketball players wear baggy shorts and sport, on occasion, a tattoo. I don't mind that women vote. And I surprisingly quite enjoy this so-called "rock and roll" the kids have been blasting lately.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Very interested from 3:30-7:15 p.m. PST. Couldn't care less from 9 a.m. until kickoff, and I don't know who does.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I love it because every year it's a great opportunity to gather with a good number of my friends. Never matters who plays in it, we always have a good time. And if I were mad at the NFL because players showboat I would have to be mad at lots of things.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I am one of the NFL's biggest fans, but this is a nightmare matchup. I've been saying for two weeks I have no interest in watching the game. Said it again just an hour ago. Nothing good can come of this game. Either Rapistberger and the smelly, unkempt legion of Steelers fans win yet another Lombardi Trophy, or the fucking Packers win. Lose-lose. Having said that, I'll probably watch every excruciating play.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very excited. I think these two teams have the most passionate fanbases in the league and that adds to the fun. I hate when a team like Carolina, St. Louis or Arizona makes it because you know the bulk of the fans are just bandwagon jumpers. Not the case with these two teams.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I grew up in Wisconsin a Packer fan, and can remember the Ice Bowl (knocked over a tray full of chips and dip when Bart plunged over), and had Super Bowl parties for the Brett Favre games vs. the Patriots and the Broncos. Called my mom this morning to wish her luck, and she cried the whole time.

Today, I'm working and will probably go home around 7, get some food and settle into an evening of ... doing freelance work. All I need to know about this game is the final score, and I obviously hope the Packers win.

But I've reached a really odd spot fan-wise: I just have no interest in watching a 3 1/2 hour football game as entertainment. I guess I've been doing it for work for too long. Because counter-programming sucks tonight (I'll likely have on Pride of the Yankees on TCM until 8, though), I'll probably put on a Van Morrison CD and try to make some money.

Oddly, my girlfriend will be about 35 minutes north watching every minute, both game and commercials. She she heard about my interest level, she made it very clear we would NOT be watching the game together.

Strange place, but that's where I am these days.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't have a dog in this hunt, but - and excuse me if this sound too cliche - this is the last chapter in a great mystery that's been developing since September. Of course I want to see how it turns out. Showboating? I think it happens less than OP thinks, but won't bother me until it gets to the level of pro wrestling.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only two championship games that I always watch are the NCAA Tournament title game and the Super Bowl.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fixed.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was really excited for Auburn/Oregon, and that game sucked (except for the last three minutes). Safe to say, it's really dampened my excitement for tonight.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

this should get this thread a-rockin': no dog in the hunt but i'm MUCH more interested in the super bowl than i've been in ANY world series (game or series) in which the team the shockey's pull for are not involved.

and this has been the case for as long as i can remember.

but hey, who gives a crap how interested i or anyone else is? if someone couldn't care less their mind isn't going to be changed here and vice versa. i appreciate that there are tons of folks who remain 'interested,' 'excited,' 'amped,' whatever, in the world series, or nhl finals, or nba finals, etc. whatever floats your boat, i applaud any legal activity that gets a segment of the populace pumped up.

WOO-HOO!!

Draft saved Draft deleted