1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I Met Your Mother - The Grinch Episode

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch Monday's showing of How I Met Your Mother?
    Finally a Christmas-themed episode that I can identify with.
    I think I laughed for the entire half hour.
    The Alyson Hannigan character hears an old telephone message where Ted, the male lead call her a "Grinch" but not the Dr. Suess character, but instead "Grinch" is a substitute for the word you call a female when you get mad at them. Really mad. The episode seemed to imply it was subbing for, well, you know the C-Bomb.
    Grinchy Grinch Grinch Grinch
    And sheer genius to cast Moon Zappa as the really religious relative on the show.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, man, I COMPLETELY missed that it was Moon. Fantastic.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Geez, I missed Moon Unit Zappa as well. Great episode, but still not as good as the slap bet one.

Jay, Mrs. Wretch thinks "grinch" was subbing for "bitch." But I think you're right, I think it was The Word Every Woman Hates.

4. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Classic ending. kids chanting Grinch! Grinch! Grinch!

But remember, the PC police will be out soon. Cindy Lou Whoo and her kinfolk will probably call the ACLU b/c they played the Grinch card. How is it on our society that victims take a backseat to the perps? For all practical purposes, the Grinch went to rehab, apologized and became the hero. You don't think Little Cindy Lou Whoo doesn't still have nightmares? It's been 40 years and while scars can heal, the hurt never really goes away.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Poor Neil Patrick Harris - if only someone had warned him about the effects of all that soy while he was growing up.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

In addition to How I Met Your Mother, which was hilarious, I've been watching The Class.

It has its ups and downs, but that stripper pole tonight was a riot.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Speaking of "The Class," the blond who married the football player... that girl is aesthetically splendid... is she the neighbor chick from short-lived "Joey"?

HIMYM's X-mas episode was good... I could have used more with Moon Zappa's religious family. That was funny.

An aside: I thought "Grinch" was substitute for "bitch"... but the "c-word" does pack more of a punch.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

if the word was "bitch," methinks they just would've said it, no? bitch is pretty common on network tv these days.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Great episode. Although I want to beat the crap out of Marshall, what a wuss. Although for getting to get with Lilly, I would probably wuss it up a bit, too.

When Barney fell asleep mid word than finished it, hilarious. This is becoming one of my faves. Wish it was part of the NBC Thursday lineup.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good episode... Slap Bet was the best episode that show has ever had and one of the best shows of any non-animated network sitcom probably since Seinfeld was over...

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On the same subject as the episode, about 10 years ago one of my best friends was dumped by his girlfriend and I took him out to get drunk and proceeded to explain how much better off he was without his girlfriend, who I told him I never liked because she was such a pretentious bitch...

They were back together a week later and married a year later. His wife hates me to this day...

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Well... were you telling the truth?

Draft saved Draft deleted