1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I Met Your Mother finale -- Spoilers! And Renewed for Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 14, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Pretty good episode, kind of left some things hanging.
    I wonder which direction the show goes next season
    Didn't see that ending coming because, like Barney, I thought she was pregnant. And not so much.
    Was I the only one who got the impression that Robin just got written out of the show? I'm not sure how they can keep her around and the VO was pretty clear, he didn't go with her. I might have to watch again.
    Also, Marshall and Lilly not being able to eat at their wedding rang very true. All my married friends have bitched about that. One couple I know got some McDonald's after their wedding, just so that they could have something to eat.

2. 35in44

35in44 Member

Re: How I Met Your Mother finale -- Spoilers!

I agree. I think Robin just got written out, although it doesn't say when she leaves and for how long. I suppose this leaves a loophole. Plus, old Ted has called her Aunt Robin so she doesn't completely disappear.

That said, it was a pretty good cliffhanger. I thought for a minute that the future Mrs. Ted Mosby was going to walk up to the bar when he ordered the drink at the wedding while watching Robin dance. It'll be an interesting beginning of next season, to be sure.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I thought Robin was preggers too when she got that water.

I hope they don't write her out of the show, I'm sure they can find a way to write in the breakup.

But I anticipate Ted getting in lots of trouble because of Barney.

The food thing was funny. At my wedding, we got to eat right at the start, but had to do it quickly. They left a plate for us in our room, but we were so tired (and about half in the bag) we didn;t see it. We just opened all our envelopes and counted our money!

We saw the food the next morning and were pissed.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given how this show ties episodes together (like Ted and Robin showing up with food-stained clothes a few episodes ago, and us getting the explanation tonight), that might have happened but it just wasn't shown.

That said, are we even sure CBS is going to renew this show? I thought there was some question about it.

5. 35in44

35in44 Member

True. They could revisit and the wedding isn't completely over yet ... LEGEN -- (fade to black).

It'd be real bad if this show doesn't come back. Some of the better non-drama, non-HBO stuff on TV.

6. Re: How I Met Your Mother finale -- Spoilers!

Agreed. I was glad they brought it back for a second season and I sort of figured it had found its following and its ratings were decent. Anyone seen anything recently about the show not coming back. Man, that'd suck. We TiVo HIMYM, The Office and Earl ... and The Amazing Race, which just finished and doesn't start anew until November.

As for Robin, the way the show is set up, I could see her hanging around New York for however many years the show runs and then head off to Buenos Aires or Tokyo as they say their goodbyes in the series finale? I just don't see how you get rid of the main characters. This show has gotten is share of comparisons to "Friends." I suppose it could've worked if Joey or Chandler suddenly moved to Bolivia and left the show. But not really. Especially not here. She's the main eye candy for the 18-34 crowd, no?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

CBS doesn't release its fall schedule for a couple more days, but I'd wager a dollar this show comes back.
    Pretty good ratings, plus it won a couple of Emmys, that has to count for something even if they were for camera work.
    And the producer seems to think it will be back, but he is a little surprised that it hasn't already come down.
    http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Interviews-Features/Article/default.aspx?posting={DA5FB4D2-86ED-49E8-BE20-C49C69551A71}

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I was really disappointed with most of this season (save for a couple good stand-alone episodes), but it seemed like they went out of their way tonight to set things back on track going into next year.

A few things bothered me about this season:
    1. Marshall and Lily got back together WAY too quickly. No chance for viewers to even get excited about it because they'd only been apart a couple episodes.
    2.Ted's search for "the one" getting bumped down to being the "B" storyline most of the year. I know he's not the most interesting character on the show, but his search is what generated a lot of what had been interesting in season 1. When you spend a whole season with him dating someone you KNOW isn't the person he ends up with, it becomes a year-long exercise in futility.
    3. With Ted being the B story, there really wasn't much of an A. So many long breaks between new episodes, so many stand-alone episodes with little long-term plot development... the season just kinda wandered with little direction.

With the finale, Ted gets back on track with his search, Marshall and Lily can move on to the next phase (the first year of marriage) and Barney can get into all sorts of stuff as Ted's wing man. Robin is left out in the cold. I'm really curious to see what they do with her character because they sure as hell slammed the door on her being the mom tonight.

And while we're on the subject of Robin being the one for Ted, here's what I posted on here back on Dec. 14 in the thread about "The Grinch" episode:

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've seen this one for quite a while now. Mark it down.

Who is the "one"?

It's Robin's little sister, who will come back to NYC all grown up.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Whoooooaaa. Good one. I was also thinking "Oh God, what if Robin married Barney?"

Buzz I've heard is CBS renews this show for a third season. Now just give me Jericho renewed and I'll be happy. :)

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you watched the first episode you knew Robin and Ted don't get married. She is referred to as "Aunt Robin" at the end. All in all, its an underrated show with an excellent use of flashbacks. I loved the wedding cliches. The best ep of the season was the bachelor/bachelorette party.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What I remember about the food at my wedding is that we were first in the buffet line -- we were young and poor, but we threw a heck of a wedding for about $2,000 plus my dad's liquor -- but I had no appetite. I don't think I've ever had that sort of eight-hour adrenaline rush since. I don't remember being hungry at all that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted