1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How he finally met the mother (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 23, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bobcat, throughout the life of the show, people ripping what it had become was a weekly tradition. Really makes you wonder why it stayed so popular after about Season 4. I guess hate-watching is a powerful force.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, no one should've ever held out hope that a talented cast and creative team would get it all together and actually do something that delivered on the central premise of the show.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Did you know about the finale backlash before you started watching or did you just find out now?
    Because it's easy to marathon the show and enjoy it and focus on all the nice things but what happens when you do that is you don't go YEARS waiting for a little hint of the mother and then YEARS waiting to see why Ted and Robin don't end up together and then YEARS watching Barney and Robin develop into a relationship and wait YEARS to finally see the mother get cast ... and YEARS knowing the show is wrapping up, and weeks in the final season feeling the pressure of the show's finale creeping closer but all these loose ends still left to tie and WORSE YET are not being addressed even as the number of episodes dwindles and they waste time with other angles that are ultimately useless.
    It's easy if you can binge watch everything to not really just how much time was wasted on Zoey or Stella or any other number of girls who weren't the mother and who weren't Robin. It's easy to think it's a great show when you don't realize they spent one of their precious final few hours on a rhyming episode just because they wanted to see if they could do it ... but couldn't give us an episode with Ted and the mother together post meeting.
    Fuck this show.
    I LOVED this show. It was the definitive comedy for me post college and spoke to me like few shows ever have.
    And they ruined it.
    They ruined the whole god damn thing.
    A lot of people like to say "Well, just because the final episode wasn't as good as you wanted doesn't ruin the experience you had and the fun times you enjoyed watching."
    Bull shit.
    It does in this case.
    This show promised ONE THING. One small, very simple thing. It promised that this show was about a single man down on his luck meeting the woman of his dreams.
    It gave us a unique premise because we KNEW Ted found the mother. And we knew he had kids with her. And we knew he was so, so happy so every trial and tribulation he went through was to service this ultimate happy ever after.
    And what did the show give us in the end? A bullshit swerve ending where they killed the only character who was likable in the final season and the one character they promised us they would treat with respect and a proper payoff to that pilot episode's big surprise.
    In the end, they gave us a secondrate bullshit romance with a character we spent YEARS watching fail miserably at being Ted's girlfriend.
    Fuck.
    This.
    Show.
    Forever.

4. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I knew there was some sort of controversy but I wasn't sure what it was about. And I think I had a vague idea that the mother died, but I wasn't sure and I didn't know how it would happen.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think binge watching the show vs. following the story for years gives such a different experience that it's natural the former wouldn't have a problem with the finale, while the latter would.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I hate-watch it. The Ted character is wholly unlikable, but it's a good show for watching when you don't want to put any effort into thinking. It's a great pre-nap show.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the finale; I have seen a few eps in syndication. Was this more disappointing than the Seinfeld ending? I thought the MASH ending was decent, not great. Cheers, Frasier and Mary Tyler Moore got their endings right. Newhart is still the gold standard for comedy finales.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of television in my life. A lot.
    This was the worst finale I've ever seen.
    And that says a lot because, prior to this, my most hated finale was the one for Lost and I thought there would never be a show that angered me quite as much as that one's ending did.
    But this was substantially worse.
    The only thing I could think would be worse would have been if I watched all of the seasons of Breaking Bad and they were building up to just one moment and I spent years looking forward to it and instead of getting closure on said moment, they spent the final episode as an hour of Walter White shitting his pants.
    Literally the entire hour. Of him shitting.
    Because that's what this final season of HIMYM essentially amounted to.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I tried it once when it first started, and I've tried once or twice in syndication.
    Cannot do it.
    The Ted character needs to be punched in the face.
    The other characters are also annoying, but even they would not be friends with that guy.
    The mother should have offed herself after marrying him.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What would you guys call someone like me, who wasn't really invested in the show until after the midway point but still wasn't invested enough to watch each week? I only caught the show in reruns before finally watching the entire series on Netflix.

Unlike the majority of my friends and those here who didn't like how it ended, I liked it.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you're into cuckolding, I could see how some could like the ending.

schiezainc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted