1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Good Was Pete Rose, really?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 22, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This.

To read some of the comments on this thread, would Rose have been better off playing on a bunch of crappy teams and being The Best Player? Then could he have merited best-ever discussion? C'mon.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I want to know about having a successful career in newspapers, I'll ask Bill Conlin, who has proven himself more or less expert-level at that. I don't see anything in his accomplishments or resumes that make me value his opinion on what makes a baseball player valuable.

3. RickStain

The "wasn't the best player on his own team" arguments are a little silly, but you can't really be the Best Ever if you aren't the best on your team.

4. RickStain

That's the first time I've ever heard someone try to pin scouting preferences on statheads.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dial 1-800-Brontosaurus and ask for the Triceratops. He'll back me up on whether I ever existed.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Perhaps.
    However, that dinosaur saw about 200 games played by the 1980 Phillies. I think he knows a little bit more about it than many others on this board, some of whom weren't born when that team won the championship. Just sayin.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is that in order? Rose ahead of Henderson?

8. RickStain

Fortunately, they kept records of exactly what happened in the games, so we don't have to take his word for it.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This post would have been perfect for the FireJoeMorgan guys.

Which teams these days are using their eyes and instincts, please tell me. The Red Sox draft as well as anybody in the game and they are run by what you consider dorks.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rick. a true seamhead knows Conlin's baseball pedigree.

11. RickStain

The kind of people who value his opinion are definitely the kind of people who would refer to themselves as "seamheads," sure.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rick, what Rose did for that team goes beyond what you will find in a box score.

Draft saved Draft deleted