1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Favre can save journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Umm, OK ...

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=139070

(Hope this isn't a d_b.)

2. There is nothing - and I mean nothing - I love more than idolatry and hero worship out of news-side people. Jacqui, you're a Pulitzer Prize winner. Have some dignity.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"It looks like he just tried to force that last ticktock in there, Al. That's a shame."

"Yeah, he might've been better off with a listicle run down the gutter, or something even safer, like a pie chart or a simple notebook item. Still, nobody loves to edit a Style section more than this guy. What a gunslinger."

4. No worse, I guess, than Mike Huckabee's painful George Brett analogy during his concession speech.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. But her points were pretty good. If it takes a sports analogy for her to essentially tell top editors to stop being such gutless pukes, I'm OK with that.

6. I know. I just wish that every time sports showed up on Poynter, it wasn't so belittling.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Journalism needs a steady dose of Percocet?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You betcha. They should hand them out like gumdrops.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The comments to her article were much better. The tone was pretty much like if we made as much as Favre, we would care more.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Ick.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

This was my personal favorite comment:

Packers GM: Hey Brett. We need to save some money this coming season, so we are cutting two of our veteran offensive linemen.

Favre: So who will we sign to replace them?

Packers GM: Actually, no one. From now on, you'll have to make do with just three offensive linemen. But we'll keep a tight end in more often to help out.

Favre: Umm ...

Packers GM:

12. VJ

VJ Member

What percentage of content on Poynter do you feel dumber after reading it? I'm going to go with 95%.

Draft saved Draft deleted