1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does Gonzales Hang On, Especially After This?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Investigated by his own underlings? Can anyone in this administration do anything competent? And yes, that was rhetorical. I know the answer as well as you. Most ethical and honest administration ever my ass.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/14/AR2007061400809.html?hpid=topnews

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Because I'm the decider and I've decided to keep him on."

[​IMG]

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

The Gonzalez era will not end well.

And I didn't think anyone could do a worse job as attorney general than Ashcroft..
    At least he could sing, sortof.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And as we've also learned, even he had limits when it came to civil liberties and the like. Gonzales is a total puppet and a hack. Easily the worst AG ever, especially considering the circumstances he's served so poorly in.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was going to post this as its own thread, but right here is just as well given the millionth tale of dipshitery eminating from the White House ...

If the United States was stock, would you buy it right now? I'd say no.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

At this point, do you think Bush is just keeping him on as a buffer to take some of the heat?

I can't think of another reason...

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not with China holding hundreds of billions in bonds over our heads.

8. jakewriter82

He's too stubborn to dismiss Gonzalez.
    Look at how long he stuck with Rummy. You could argue that he did a piss poor job as the defense secretary, too. Plus, we're talking about the same president who originally appointed Harriet Miers to become the next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
    To me it seems Bush is loyal to those who support his views no matter how incompetent they might be.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's just it, though.

He finally had to axe Rummy. He had to pull the Miers nomination back.

Gonzales twists in the wind.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think the main thing is a reluctance to go through another confirmation process right now. That seems to me to be the explanation that fits the situation.

11. jakewriter82

The pressure isn't there.
    The Democrats tried the No-Confidence vote but couldn't get any republican support. I think even Lieberman voted against it.
    Bush let Rumsfeld go after the midterm elections and there was no way Miers would've gotten through congress.
    It seems the Democrats tried to force his hand but at this point he doesn't have the gun to his head.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can't believe how low our country's standards have fallen. If Gonzo was a journalist he would have been fired, if he was a police officer he wouldn't be allowed to testify in court and he couldn't pass a background check to be a dealer in Laughlin, Nev. Bring on the Scooter pardon. Let's get this over with.

Draft saved Draft deleted