1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does a SJ survive the first date?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by North61, Sep 12, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, when you say Bud you've said it all.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Don't treat it like it's the first date you've had in four years and as if you believe you'll have to wait another four years if you don't "succeed" with this one. Too much pressure on you. Too much pressure on her. Relax. Try to forget yourself. Try to focus on putting her at ease. Don't be slavish about it, but concentrate on her. You're both there because there is no one else at the current time -- you are on a level playing field for one of the few times in life. On a first date a woman delved into her history with men and I told her it's obvious that if either of us had a successful relationship to that point, we wouldn't be here together, we'd be with the successful relationship. So try to think of it in terms of her batting average probably being as low as yours and anyone else's. We can't all be Wade Boggs. [/dated pun that works both ways]

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Man up. Don't wimp up. If you act like a nerd, you will be treated like a nerd. You can be a man and a gentleman but show a little backbone, please. She's dating you. Obviously there is something she likes about you. What is there to think about? Go out and have a good time.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A wise woman once said, "There is a nerd for every nerd." ;)

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

From the way he has described her, I don't think she's a dren, that's female for nerd.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why?

What will happen if she sees the thread?

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

WTF is a dren? "Female for nerd"? Seriously?

When was the last time YOU had a date?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Make a full analysis of the things that might come between ... you know, like an HR department.

And 'dren' is not female for 'nerd.' It was Joanie Cunningham for 'nerd.'

9. Flash

Flash Guest

And notice her shoes. Compliment them.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, she'll see right through it.

Unless he's Frank_Ridgeway, of course. Then she can compliment him. ;)

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I was dressed like a homeless person the day I met my wife, and she asked me if I wanted to go to the opera with her. I had to work the night of the opera and had to say no. But I did wear a suit for our first date, not my usual first-date attire but appropriate for situation because I knew she'd be wearing her work clothes and not out of line for the restaurant where we were headed.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ah....I couldn't fool you. Only a Happy Days groupie would know that term. That's what Joanie called Potsy.
    Look, be yourself, have a good time and goodness sake, work on that self esteem. you might be surprised at what may happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted