1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you write a story about...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Take it as a challenge to find something. Report the hell out of it.

Talk to the other kicker
    What's the history of kicking talent at the school?
    If she's only been in two plays -- ask her about the amount of pressure on those two plays
    It can be as much about the postition as the girl, maybe...

Try not to worry about it before you've done the work. You might find a great gem that you didn't expect. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

She looks strikingly like Icebox from Little Giants.

4. I found it odd that none of her teammates were quoted, but there were two quotes from the parents of players.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I've seen kickers who play soccer or run cross country and kick for the football team on gameday. I've seen full-time kickers who just kick all practice. And I've seen kickers that started out as kickers only then turned into a half decent No. 4 receiver.
    I think this is definitely more a focus on what makes this girl tick. Does she play other sports with the girls? Why football? Goldie Hawn would be proud - go Wildcats.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fixed.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shortest man in the majors nailed it.

What I would also ask her is how playing football affects a traditional everyday life of a high school girl. Does she have bruises on her arms and legs from practice? Are they badges of honor?

Ask her to describe the bus ride to and from away games. There are sights and smells on that bus no woman should ever have to experience.

How did she buy football cleats? Have her explain that experience. I'm guessing she went to the boys section.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not at all directed at the thread starter, but does it seem to anyone else that the 'girl plays football' story is really cliche at this point? Is it really that much of a novelty? Most of these girls play because a) they like it, and b) they can.

Just strikes me as sort of condescending to delve into the deeper meaning and social ramifications of this stuff.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

21, it is rare enough that I think those are fair questions. It is fairly likely that no girl has played football at that school before. Would I do a story on her just because she is a girl playing football? No. But for some reason, the thread starter has to do one, so that is one legitimate angle for him to pursue.

As others already suggested, it really should be more of a personality piece. There really isn't much to talk about on the field. As always, I think it is best if you can go see a game. See how she interacts with the team and maybe learn something about her you wouldn't know without seeing her play.

Being there always gives you the opportunity to stumble into a much better story. For example, a few years back one of the local teams I covered played against a team with a girl kicker. The difference being she was really good. Her team was lousy, so her field goals were often their only offense.

The star running back for the team I was covering also did the kicking for his team, but he wasn't very good at it. His team won big, but he missed a couple of extra points. As I'm talking to him after the game, his coach walks up and suggests that he should get some pointers about kicking from his girlfriend. He was dating the female kicker. The poor guy was embarrassed as hell, but I got a good story out of it.

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

It doesn't sound like there's a story here.

Unless there is something else interesting about this specific situation, I don't see the relevance of a girl being a bad kicker on a bad team. It's not socially relevant and it's not really relevant to this particular team.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, you then have 15" of either answering or perpetuation cliches and/or stereotypes.
    While you're at it, check to see if the shoulder pads hurt.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

At an old shop, had a girl that played the line and is now an assistant coach. She wasn't outstanding, but neither was the team. I think the coach had more XY chromosomes than her though.

Draft saved Draft deleted