1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you use Twitter?

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by Versatile, May 1, 2012.

?

How do you use Twitter most often?

1. Smartphone/tablet app

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Twitter.com

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Tweet Deck

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Another computer program

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Another Web-based application

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm mostly just curious: What's your primary method of reading and posting on Twitter? Feel free to go into more detail in responses, of course.

I almost exclusively use the website. I've tried Tweet Deck, but I don't tweet or receive replies often enough to warrant its use. I occasionally browse but rarely post using my phone.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

On my work computer, I use TweetDeck. I tweet A LOT and interact with readers quite a bit — especially on game days. At home, I just use the website. I still check it quite a bit, but just leave it in a different tab on the browser.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

TweetDeck* at home and work. (Of course, my wife and kids find it annoying at home and are always shutting it down). I know people who use HootSuite.

* The old version. I had to have my work computer re-imaged (fun!) and downloaded TweetDeck and it was a newier, crappier version. Luckily if you search the web you can still find the old version.

4. I use Tweetdeck since I'm on my computer at least a few hours a day. One thing I've found really useful is having an open column or two up with the most commonly used hashtag for your beat. You'll end up running across interesting tidbits about former players, current players or just unique factoids that you can check into for potential story ideas.

I also have Twitter text alerts sent to my phone for every writer on the beat, so that if anyone breaks something, I immediately get it in the form of a text message and can get to confirming it myself and getting a story up.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I use my phone when I'm not in the office or sitting at the computer at home, but Tweetdeck when I am.

I'm monitoring and posting to my own account as well as the paper's general news account and two sports accounts, so Tweetdeck is the easiest way to handle multiple accounts.

6. biggy0125

biggy0125 Member

I use my phone occasionally for my personal account when I'm out and about, and I use it when I am on the sports account for the daily I work for, but I'd say 95% of the time I just use Twitter.com from my computer.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I use it mostly for 140-word limericks based on sj political threads.

8. At work, I use Twitter.com. Everywhere else, the Twitter app on my phone and tablet.

9. One vote for Hootsuite.

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I use TweetCaster on my phone. I just like the layout better.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I post from multiple accounts, too, so Tweetdeck on my computer about 90 percent of the time.

When I'm away from a computer, I use the Twitter or Echofon apps from my phone.

Can't remember the last time I've been to Twitter.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted