1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you reconnect when you move to a new town?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kritter47, Jan 28, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Young parents may not be too bad, Kritter. Two of my best friends in my last town were a young married couple. They were five or six years older than me with no kids, but still in the young married couple mode. I told them once that I felt like a third wheel sometimes and that I was taking away from their marriage. They squashed that idea like a bug, telling me that if they didn't want me around, they wouldn't call and invite me over. You might find that young parents are the same way. They spend all the time in the world with their kids. They may want some other young adult stimulation.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah yeah, buckdub. That is NOT how it was. We went to church together. We went to the gym together. We watched American Idol together.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was curious because I don't know much about the condition.
    It seems logical that the situations that helped you socialize in college would be conducive to socializing now.
    Taking continuing education classes could help, but you might run into people who are either younger or older than you. Although there's nothing wrong with making friends outside of your normal peer group.
    Volunteering for charities or events might help.
    Art classes — painting, ceramics, etc.
    Yoga, the gym, etc.
    Hobbies that are conducive to social settings and god for novices — maybe find a chess club or an archery club. The activities are fun, and relaxing, they can be social and usually provide opportunities to learn and pick them up in adulthood.

Draft saved Draft deleted