1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you keep up with prep football games?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, May 20, 2009.

1. spud

spud Member

Just trying to cobble together some different theories on stat taking/play-by-play coverage for prep games. I'm looking to improve my approach and would love to know how y'all notate it all.

'preciate cha.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The home coach lets his 12-year-old son keep stats and I just go with whatever he tells me.[/crossthreading]

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I started out years ago spotting for radio and TV, and later worked as a SID, so my system sort of developed from there.

I keep certain team and individual stats cumlative as the game progresses. So, at any given moment, I can look at my sheet and see that Joe Smith is 9-for-12 for 120 yards and 2 TDs. As soon as the game ends, everything is totalled in just a couple of minutes. I also have a running sheet of all scoring plays, including drives. I virtually never chart defensive stats.

I rarely take notes while the game is in progress because I rarely write play-by-play, unless its something like a game winning drive. Sometimes I'll make notes during timeouts. I keep track of stats and trends: Podunkville goes three-and-out on its first three series; Smith six rushes on this drive, etc. Key plays on a drive, stuff like that. But doing a full PBP is a waste of time for me.

I also am blessed with a VERY good memory, which helps.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

For football, I take a steno book and use a sheet for each quarter. I have the down/location in one column, then runner, passer/receiver and yards. For extra points, use the yards column for the kicker's number. Some simple tweaks for penalties, punts, incomplete passes, time, etc., and you're set.
    So basically, it would look like this on one sheet:

First quarter
    AWAY HOME
    Run Pass-Rec Yds Run Pass-Rec Yds
    11:52 10:28
    1-A46 42 3 1-H26 25 10
    2-A49 12-86 6 1-H36 10-8 64 TD 9:36
    3-H45 Penalty A10 (hold) 7 HOME 7-0
    3-A45 12-X (if conversion fails, place X under appropriate column)
    46 punt, HOME 83 17 return

Since you're asking about preps specifically, you'll likely be in a time crunch. I suggest adding whatever stats you need at half to save a little time postgame.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have a full-sized notebook, and draw a line down the middle of the page. One page per quarter. And then I just do a play-by-play that looks something like this:
    (Podunk High = PHS; Shelbyville High = SHS)

1st Quarter
    -----------
    PHS Ball @ PHS 20
    1. #24 runs to PHS 22 (2)
    2. #24 runs to PHS 31 (9)
    1. #12 Inc.
    2. #12 Pass to #88 to PHS 40 (9)
    3. #24 runs to PHS 42
    -- PEN, Hold, on PHS to PHS 32 (-10)
    3. #12 Inc.
    4. #6 Punts to #45 @ SHS 30
    -- #45 Ret to SHS 45 (15)
    SHS Ball @ SHS 45
    ---------------------------
    1. #16 SACK BY #95 to SHS 40 (-5)
    2. #32 runs to PHS 48 (12)
    3. #16 PASS TO #84 FOR TD (48)
    -- #3 PAT GOOD
    9:52 left SHS 7
    2 Plays PHS 0
    55 yards
    0:38
    ------------------------------

You end up with the yardage in parentheses, so it's easy to add. You have to take a minute to count the rush and pass attempts, but you end up with an easy-to-follow play-by-play.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There was a good thread on this months ago. Lots of good systems on there ...

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60384/

I got the link for the stat sheet I used out of that thread, plus a ton of other info.

9. I actually use a scorebook to keep play-by-play. You normally have to order football scorebooks off the Web, but they're great.

After the game, I track down the home side's stat guy/crew and go with their totals on the major numbers (rushing yards, passing, etc.).

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pseudo. Probably could have found that for everyone myself. Some good stuff there ...

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You have time to track down a stat crew? What time is your deadline? When I covered preps, you had to be on the field when the final horn blew, or you'd miss all interview opportunities. Once you got back to the booth, it was deserted.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I carried a four-pack of these in my bag to every game I covered. An invaluable tool.

Draft saved Draft deleted