1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you handle boosters? And is this worth a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daemon, Oct 23, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The boosters pay a large chunk of Bobby's salary, and they're disgruntled. I'm one of them, though not of even the $6k variety. (Although maybe if you added up through the years I might reach half that.)

There are many way-more-wealthy-than-me boosters getting more and more annoyed that the Legend That Is All Things Bowden is being flushed.

On Bobby's radio spiel after the game, Gene Deckerhoff mentioned that if Carr came up with that catch, FSU would have won. Bobby said, "Oh really? I didn't know that."

I know he's an aw shucks kind of guy, but that's either a lousy joke or he's senile. If the "head" coach doesn't realize a play can win the game, he's done.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I read the ESPN story and it is a typical ESPN dogshit hit piece.

"Some" ... "some" ... "many" ... no definite number. One booster and one former booster president quoted. A mention of a Web site that every D-I coach has [i.e. Fire(insertname).com.]

To answer the question ... HELL FUCKING NO this isn't worth a story. This ISN'T a story, period.

ESPN blows goats. War Yahoo!

3. The Bowden story wasn't "an ESPN story." It was based on a Palm Beach Post story. (ESPN credited it properly.) And hey, let's give props. It was legit. The reporter knows which boosters have pull and which don't. And just because he quoted only a couple doesn't mean he didn't hear from more.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa. Reporters don't always know which boosters have pull. Most boosters have no pull whatsoever. Not every situation is Auburn, after all.

Nevertheless, you could see Bowden leaving, although the problem isn't so much as the respect he has for Mark Richt's remarkably static and boring offense. Richt would be candidate No. 1 for that job when Bowden steps down, and it'd be the same damn team.

5. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

There's a story in there, but stating, implying or suggesting that boosters are going to nudge out Bobby Bowden are ludicrous.

FSU is a much different animal from the other traditional college FB powers. Their alumni base is smaller, younger and poorer than schools like Florida, Auburn, etc.

Bowden would chew up 99.9 percent of their boosters and spit them out if they dared pull a power play. There are maybe -- MAYBE -- two or three FSU boosters with enough dough to make an interesting battle. But I doubt any of those are willing to stick their necks out that far.

Bowden will be there as long as he wants. As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, I think it will be at least one more year after this.

Draft saved Draft deleted