1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you file your taxes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 5, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law works in a private tax office. I just give all of our stuff to her. I doubt I could do it myself.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I take a crisp, clean sheet of white cardstock, wipe my ass with it, tape a dime in the top-right corner, and then along the bottom, I write: GO TO HELL, TAXMANNNN!, along with my ITIN, which means I don't have to pay American tax.

Then I write a check to the Canadian government that equals 79 percent of my gross earnings.

I came for the mountains. I stayed for the free colonoscopies.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sit down with my financial planner- who is also an accountant - go through all my deductions and then let her do my taxes.
    Saw her Monday morning and we were able to do most of the taxes (there's stuff with an inheritance I received a few years ago and am receiving payouts for now she needs to work out the details on).
    Then Monday afternoon in the mail I received a revised 1099 in the mail.
    So its a good thing I didn't file early otherwise I'd have to file an amended return.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I could read these posts all day. And I just might.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No autographed pucks for your taxman?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hockey pucks are good gifts.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I use taxact.com. My federal was free b/c I don't do the deduction thing and my state was $19.95.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

IRS.gov usually has a list of online tax providers who'll do it for free so long as you don't hit an income ceiling that varies from site to site. Poor people like us you probably won't have to pay.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

On a serious note, Turbo Tax is nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've done my 1040s myself ever since I had enough shit to itemize that it made it worthwhile. Never took less than 3 weeks to get my refund direct-deposited.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Take my file folder full of crap to my tax lady, who cranks on said folder for a day before calling me to come sign a few papers. I pay her a couple bux, get a BIG checque back (in fact, ours showed up Monday) and deposit that bad boy.

rb

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just did mine on TurboTax for the second consecutive year, and with three W-2s and a 1099 -- and a shit-load of text messages -- it only took me about an hour and a half.

Draft saved Draft deleted