1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about your local police department?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Nov 26, 2014.

?

How do you feel about your local police department?

1. I feel protected and served by my local police department

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. I feel protected, but not served by my local police department

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I feel served, but not protected by my local police department

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I feel neither protected nor served by my local police department

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In the wake of Ferguson, thought this might an interesting question. How do any of us the see police and why?

2. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I voted "protected and served," but I'm white and live in the suburbs.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fairly protected and served, but I am totally against speed cameras. They are just county revenue enhancers.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've had good experiences and bad experiences with the local PD. There's no question in my mind that some of these guys are authoritarian douchebags who joined the force because they could carry guns and do whatever they want around town knowing their police colleagues will get their back. I know this because I've known several of them since they were teenagers and they've more or less said as much.

There are others, and this represents the majority, who genuinely work hard to protect the community and see to it that they diffuse situations rather than escalate them.

I generally eye most of them with a combination of respect and mistrust. I know first-hand how a cop on a power trip can escalate a situation. "What did you say?" is an all-too common phrase.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I believe they're worthless, but I live in an upper-middle-class neighborhood.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"I don't need 'em, so fuck 'em."

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Pretty much, yes. Other than a speeding ticket, I can't remember the last time I had a personal dealing with a cop. One when a bike was stolen many years ago.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Protected and served but harassed in a white man's way. Local PD has turned town into a police state looking to curb middle class crime like speeding , loud dog barking and J walking. Teenagers need to be well versed in their 4th amendment rights or the cops will trash them otherwise. Simply put a bunch dicks making almost a 100 g a year who are under virtually no danger or need to pull the trigger on their gun in anger and resentful of the rest of the town because they have bigger houses, drive better cars and make more money.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

Roger all of that.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Back when my son was in Scouts, a long time ago now, I used to know several town cops because one of their brothers was scoutmaster. Now my son is an adult. Since I don't drive late at night nor am a teenager drinking beer on town conservation land, I have had no interaction with them for years.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Protected and served, but not perfect. They're better than what they were under the current chief. Under his predecessor, a good percentage of the group was under investigation for rather unseemly/illegal behavior for various things.

Still, when I'm driving through the town at night, they end up following me through the town, hoping that I do something so they can pull me over. I resent that.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ditto.

Draft saved Draft deleted