1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, May 13, 2007.

1. Last night, I covered an ARCA race, and I noticed that a writer next to me in the media center kept coming back with hats from the garage areas. I asked him about it, and he said, "I interviewed the drivers and asked for a hat."
    Is this wrong?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Unbelievably so. What the hell is wrong with people these days?

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Yes, it's wrong. However, if you're an entertainment writer and talk a hot actress into a roll in the sack after an interview that's completely different. Wrong, yes, but well worth it!

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's not so much that it's wrong -- it is -- as why that person doesn't feel like a complete and utter dweeb for asking.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Too bad outing is frowned upon ...

I'd sent my writer home for a few days if somebody did that on my watch.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

ARCA racing is not the assignment that the top talent in the newsroom is begging to be sent to.
    Writers who wind up covering this stuff (not you Henry) might fit the mold of propositioning their subjects for memorabilia.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know what, I didn't really factor in the level, but that's a good point.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's always wrong to take stuff. It's always egregiously wrong to ask for it.

That said, auto racing is a swag-rich environment generally, compared to other sports. There's an awful lot of promotional crap floating around in every series - thanks, of course, to all those corporate sponsors. And for the less morally rigorous among our colleagues, it's apparently quite difficult to resist.

10. blueview

blueview Member

Regurgitating this thread ...

Just saw a hockey championship photo online ... and noticed that one of the reporters who covers the team was square in the background, wearing a team hat and grinning.

I sure know how to feel about that. *rolls eyes* As one of my friends put it - "just put that picture in the dictionary next to the phrase 'conflict of interest.' "

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Is this a generational problem? Just cause, I notice it happens a lot with the younger generation.

12. It's certainly a stupid problem ... I notice it happens a lot with stupid people.

Draft saved Draft deleted