1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about the fans in your audience?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Omar_dont_scare, Apr 24, 2007.

?

How do you feel about sports fans, particularly the ones in your audience?

Poll closed May 8, 2007.
  1. In general, they're a good group.

20.0%
  2. A few are bothersome.

23.3%
  3. Most are bothersome.

16.7%
  4. They are the bane of my existence.

23.3%
  5. I have no opinion of them.

13.3%
  6. They are nutty as fruitcakes.

3.3%
  1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

How did this conversation end?

Did she have any sort of reasonable response, or did you do the right thing and hang up on the pussycat?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got a few yeah-butts and told her if she expected to see results in the paper, the coach needed to call. When she asked why not the PR contact, I told her the coach needs to call so we can lay out the ground rules of what we expect and why...

3. KG

KG Active Member

They're mostly a bunch of rednecks, which causes many people to have the wrong impression. In reality, most of them would give the shirt off their back to a complete stranger in a heartbeat.

Team rivalry doesn't cause problems between them either. I found this out when I braved camping at a track amongst the mixed assembly of fans. They might razz one another from time to time but groups of complete strangers treated each other like they were lifelong pals.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

What a great recap, "Big money High defeated SnobbyRich High on the Lacrosse field yesterday, but no one remembers the score! 'That was a hell of a win for us," said winning coach. "But I just wish one of us had written down the final score.'"

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Amen, amen, amen.

Give the man a cigar.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Curious: Those who vote "bane of my existence", would you rather write for a publication that has no readers and makes no money and pays you same?
    You should cherish your audience.
    Even the idiots.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I didn't realize we had the same people calling both our papers ...

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for some of them, especially the ones who seem to get rulers out and measure how many column inches "their" team gets in comparison to some other team.

I really don't have a lot of patience for that sort of thing.

9. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I had this happen once. I told the coach to call back when he got his shit together and hung up.

I'm lucky that my readership doesn't complain too much. Either I'm doing my job well (high school sports) or this is the most uninterested area I've ever worked in. The jury's still out.

It's so quiet, that we don't worry about the ratio of games covered to appease people. I might cover two actual games per week now, and the rest of my time is spent writing news and features for the section.

10. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Under the same situation, I get no nice comments, maybe from a coach occasionally, but he finished sixth in the country with his junior college men's basketball team so consider the source. Things would have been different if he had a 20-loss season.

I find swimming fans and HS bowling parents the worst, especially the two that work in our circulation and business depts. This is my first year there and she marched up the stairs to tell me I spelled her son Ryne's name wrong.

Other than that, my community is rather silent.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I couldn't vote their was no nutty as fruitcakes button.

12. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

The local racing fans are silent as long as you don't bash Dale Jr.

Draft saved Draft deleted