1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Feel About Circumcision?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

We circumcised our son which put us in the minority of most of my buddies who for the most part did not circumcise their boys even though they were cicrumcised.

My wife and I discussed with our doctor who is very pro circumcision. He said that the for/ against debate was really a matter of whatever was trendy. He claimed there were fewer penile health issues for circumcised males.

My wife, who claims to have never seen an uncircimcised penis (insert your own joke here) was shocked at the amount of foreskin there was.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'll take two.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am of the opposite opinion of your wife. I was surprised at much skin there wasn't. Honestly, I expected more. For the most part, there is really not much of a difference to the overall appearance to me.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There used to be a writer for the East Valley Tribune who wrote a column blaming everything bad that ever happened to him on the fact that he was circumsized, and how it left him always feeling incomplete.

Strangest damn thing I've ever read.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We really need a Raguvian-length post from you on this.

6. Insect genitalia provide inspiration for a trail-blazing artist

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/in-praise-of-beauty-that-lurks-out-of-sight-20120420-1xc3t.html

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I had mine made into a turtleneck sweater.

As stylish as that sounds, it does have its drawbacks. It fits fine when its warm but, when the weather gets a bit chilly, it damn near chokes me to death.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Same as your wife. The first and only uncirc'd I've seen was on my son when they pulled him out of me.

I wasn't worried about the pain as much as I was a slip. I tracked down a pediatrician who's also a mohel. He's performed hundreds of these. I believe he gave my son something local to numb the area, but I could be wrong. I was in the room and nursed right away. Lil Sir Lug seemed fine within 2 minutes.

I'm the only Protestant I know to have insisted on a mohel.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm Jewish and believe in circumcision. I had my son circumcised.
    When my father was alive he had these gag mohel cards -- Dr. Kutyerpeckeroff. I wish I knew where those cards were now.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now this is the thread Fanta IJAG needs to post on.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The local they give at a bris is some wine or whiskey dabbed on a cotton ball and put to the kid's lips. As if it actually does anything. I've yet to see a poor bastard NOT scream his head off at the moment of the snip.

12. Our two boys are not circumcised. The wife made the call - I think she basically didn't want to have her perfect little newborns penises cut, knowing she was responsible for the pain the boys would endure. Also, I think our pediatrician told us the health thing had been debunked and obviously these days a lot more folks are leaving the penis intact!

I am circumcised and obviously have no memory of this horrible event in my life! That said, I respect my wife's opinion and I have no regrets. So while we went the save-the-penis route, I could have just as easily gone the other way so my boys' penises would like like mine ::)

Funny story - one of our neighbors got circumcised in his mid-20s because his now wife wouldn't marry him otherwise. I think that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted