1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Feel About Circumcision?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did not realize that this was a big issue until flipping around the dial on XM, I heard a doctor talking about a movement in the US to outlaw circumcision.

He claimed that it was unhealthy and that women had a more likelihood of achieving orgasm with an uncircumcised male.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

By the time I could form an opinion, it was too late to change anything.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am Jewish. Well, born Jewish. Athiest now.

My sisters unfortunately, still follow the voodoo, and one of my brothers in law grew up pretty observant.

When my first nephew was born, they asked me to be the Godfather. The mohel (Jewish voodoo priest of some sort who does circumcisions) shows up and they tell me as Godfather, I have to hold him while they circumsize him. I said no way. I didn't even want to be in the room.

I am not sure how I feel about circumcision itself, but I do find the bris to be barbaric. It's one thing to do the deed, it's another thing to invite everyone over and have a party! I mean you get every disgusting, old distant Jewish relative you never otherwise see. And they are all there stuffing their faces with bagels and lox (and there is always the old senile, third uncle removed, who chews cream cheese with his mouth open) while the poor little thing has no idea what is coming. I find the whole ritual just barbaric.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One other story. ... I think I have told it on here before. When one of my other nephews was born, we were all standing around waiting for the mohel to show up and it is getting later and later past when he was supposed to be there.

Finally, my brother in law pulls me aside and discreetly tells me the mohel has had a car accident, and asks me if I will drive over to where he is and pick him up.

I get there and the mohel is totally unhinged. His car is wrecked and he's arguing with the guy he had the accident with, and he is getting more and more upset. We finally clear the whole thing with the police, and I get him in the car to take him to my sister's house. And he is still ranting and raving and is just short of foaming at the mouth.

And all I can think about is that this guy is going to be putting a knife to my nephew's pecker in a couple of minutes.

So I am trying to be as calm as possible and calm him down. "These things happen. It's no big deal. Isn't the weather beautiful? How about them Yankees?"

The bris went off fine. I found out afterward, though, that this guy had cornered the mohel business in the tri-state area. So every weekend, he was doing a dozen or more of these things, and he was zipping around between New York, New Jersey and Connecticut trying to make appointments on time.

It kind of explained the accident, I guess.

The guy actually had an 800 number, as in 1-800-4AMOHEL.

5. I played sports my whole life and growing up we swam naked at both the Boys Club and the Y - so locker-rooms and buck naked guys were nothing big. Something I saw every day. Not that I was looking but I never saw an uncircumcised male until I got to college. My frat brother Mike - I thought I was a deformity or that he was carrying an anteater.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is that supposed to sway us?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I went to an antiwar protest in SF before the Iraq War, and the no-circumcision people had the biggest table. They linked our aggression to unresolved pain and anger from the procedure.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll just say it. I love the look of my circumcised member. Love it. Always have. I thank god my parents did it.

9. Boom_70

No but it might sway the ladies though.

If it somehow was deemed green it would be a real HR.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. Can we have a thread asking how we feel about Black Tacos?

Those are always fun.

12. Boom_70

We do know that the Secret Serviced prefers the traditional Latin taco.

Draft saved Draft deleted