1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about Candace Parker's C-cup being referenced in this lede?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yes, yes it is. Life is unfair.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Strange to see a Glen Quagmire wanting to downplay breast talk.

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think Candace can certainly help promote the game and the league, but I don't get the lead either or the reference to cup size. It would sound a little stalker-ish if a guy had written it, but I don't think it helps promote women's sports or Parker by focusing on her boobs. Women athletes have boobs of varying size, big deal. Also, they ran photos and put her on the cover, so it's pretty apparent how attractive Parker is for anyone who hasn't seen her. But if looks are what the sports world want to use to promote female athletes and women's sports, sounds like a move backwards to me.

4. dooley_womack1

Good point. My favorite female athlete ever is Martina Navratilova, and she became a popular cultural figure and a product seller without being a babe.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Find me someone like Martina in the past 15 years who has done that.

The world is more image-driven. On both sides.

6. dooley_womack1

Oh, the world hasn't changed that much in that respect since 1985. Mia Hamm, I think, is not too far off as a parallel.

7. imjustagirl

Except Mia Hamm's attractive.

And Mizzou, the next time you bring any substance to a thread outside of who you know or who you're friends with or all the awesome things you've covered will be the first. If you want to weigh in on the merits of the lede instead of lobbing cheap shots, you're more than welcome. Otherwise, take a walk.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ish.

Rick
    (who was just waiting for the thread to get to the point of rating female athletes on their attractiveness. Candace Parker's not a fave of mine either.)

9. imjustagirl

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to get to that. But my point is marketing has been driven by attractiveness for some time now. Nobody's buying something that Brian Scalabrine is marketing.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I agree ijag, my concern is whether we should be trying to stop this trend or promote it the way this article does. I'm not sure that the WNBA, or women's basketball in general, is assisted by this type of looks-based marketing, considering not all women in the league, or in the world, for that matter, look like Parker. I'm still uncomfortable with the lede making it about that.

11. dooley_womack1

Yeah, Hamm is somewhere between Martina and Jenny Finch. But I really think her marketing has centered on her accomplishments, not her looks.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The lede is ridiculously offensive. Imagine the uproar if a guy had written that. People would lose jobs. She didn't need to go there.

Draft saved Draft deleted