1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you cover weightlifting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, May 4, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I did this at the Olympics in Athens.

If you need information on any of the competitors, you should track down a Canadian by the name of Aldo Roy. He's been the color commentator in this event for Canadian TV since dinosaurs roamed the earth. He knows more about weightlifting than any human should, and he's also a good guy. (Also well-known for saying, "Is this where the cocks hang out?" whenever he walks into a men's bathroom.)

This website http://www.iat.uni-leipzig.de/datenbanken/dbweight/start.php is excellent for tracking down event results for the competitors.

Just from a personal point of view, I find their focus fascinating when they lift. Their taught to pick one spot in front of them and fixate on it while lifting.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK... TWO people you can ask...

3. ogre

ogre Member

Im covering weightlifting and I have to talk to Canadians? ;D

Thanks for the info EF. I will check out that link.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I covered a national championship in 1979, but I was stringing for AP, so it was pretty basic and I really didn't need to make it interesting as I knew the few papers that would run it probably would run a sentence in briefs. I suppose if I had to cover this event now, I would find someone interesting so I could make it a feature. Or kill myself.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Get one of the competitors to kill you. Then someone else would have an interesting story.

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

I've covered a few of these. First one, a guy blew out a quadriceps muscle. Don't look forward to seeing something like that.
    Might be a good idea to visit with some of the competitors, if possible, beforehand to get an understanding of the event and the sport itself. If competitors aren't available, the internet is and do a little background work. Knowing the style of competition would be a good start.

7. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

Aldo is awesome. What a cool guy, and a huge help to me when I was at the 99 worlds.
    On the funny side, he was there with a co-worker, who was French-Canadian. One day, Aldo and I were talking, and I said something like, "Frank said blah blah blah."
    Also answered: "Frank? What does he know. He's French."
    Classic stuff.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In the pictures posted above....not that I'm looking that closely, but does it seem those men have no genitals in those little thongs?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

How did we cover weightlifting? By covering our eyes and ears and praying that no one would care if we pretended it didn't happen.

10. Pay no attention to the little guy behind the thong, 21.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Goobers have Raisinets

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted