1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we get out of this mess?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Mar 7, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, how high are gas prices where you live? Only $300,000 a gallon here.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not that high. ::)

But behind rent, I spend more on gas annually than I do anything else. About 10 years ago, I bought gas for 87 cents. It's tough to swallow that prices could soar that high so quickly, especially when the "cost of living" raise I get from work -- which would have been fine 10 years ago -- doesn't keep pace with the cost of gas, among other things. Like say, groceries, which are going up to compensate for the price of gas spent to get it there.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It rolled over again. It's up to $200 million. I'm buying one or two tomorrow...

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does George Bush have an economics degree?

Does he?

I didn't think so.

Guess that means we'd better disqualify anything he has to say about the economy, too. Conveniently for those of us possessed of the ability to think independently, ignoring his bloviations has become as second-nature as breathing.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Recession? What recession?

Halliburton's hiring!

http://www.halliburton.com/careers/

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FDR jawboned it, and played for time, until getting the beat-Hitler mechanism into gear bailed us out.

How it's going to happen this time, God knows.

7. Without mentioning Any Names, I can say that this argument is just asking for it.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Economists are the sportswriters of money. Analysis of what's already happened, they do fine. Coming up with what should be done, not so well (see Marx, Karl).
    Long story short, the U.S. needs to pay back all the money we have borrowed. This will take time. Also pain.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

henry, i'm not an economist, but these two guys quoted in the wall street journal are:

and

from the ny times story:
    now, i'll let the economists determine if there's a recession. but as m_gee pointed out, economists usually don't determine whether there's a recession until the recession is over. regardless, the numbers aren't pretty or encouraging.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What do you know about economics? You're degree is in journalism, so stop flapping your mouth about something you know nothing about! Oh, and did you ever play college basketball? Yeah, didn't think so.

On a serious note ... milk dopped 20 cents a gallon here this week! But gas went up 16 cents. Overnight, of course. :'( :eek: :( :mad:

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

These sort of downturns are fairly natural and they end up working themselves out. It's painful while it happens, but in a few years, things will get better. Once the housing market reaches the bottom and people start buying property again, that will help out. And the subprime mess will work itself out in a few months.
    Fundamentally, the U.S. economy is very strong. Unemployment is extremely low, there's a lot of construction going on and interest rates are about as low as they can get. It's just with all that debt people are carrying right now, and with wages not really going up, some folks are in a bind. There's a lack of confidence in the situation now (this is even happening on Wall Street...W. announces a plan to stimulate the economy and the market dips a little more.) I think getting a new president in 2009 will also help a little bit.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

time for the new deal part deux

Draft saved Draft deleted