1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Independents feel about this election?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just curious to know because in a few places, Independents took votes away and it made some difference.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'm an independent and I'm pleased. But shit for brains is still president, so I haven't gone nucular with joy.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Nuclear. It's nuclear.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'd be happier if someone other than the Republicans or Democrats could take control of one of the houses of Congress, but I haven't noticed any significant temperature plummets in hell lately, so that's clearly not happening anytime soon.

I guess this is a decent set-up if these two self-destructive parties have to be running things, with one of them holding the Executive branch while the other two potentially take the Legislative. Maybe they can perform some sorts of checks on each other.

Just as the Democrats have before them, the Republicans got drunk with power and simply couldn't remain responsible when holding all three branches at once. Surprise, surprise. So we'll see how the next 2 years go with Dubya being completely neutered now if the Dems can take the Senate. Maybe none of them can fuck things up any more when it's somewhat balanced like this.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I can think of a few independents -- and plenty of Republicans -- I'd like to line up in front of a firing squad... ;D

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am SO GLAD IT'S OVER. I am tired of the attack ads and the nastiness. I'm tired of the calls, both automated and from people trying to convince me the other guy is a child molester and their candidate is the voice of the people and all that is good.

Something needs to be done about the tone of political discourse in this country. It's really ugly. I have always hated politics and all the divisiveness does is make me hate it even more.

The 2008 electioneering has already begun. I don't know how I'm going to be able to bear it.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Amen.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What would happen if a guy like McCain decided to run for President in 2008, but as an independent? Would it work? Would the GOP hate him and he'd lose? Would Dems be OK with it?

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

He'd then have people attacking him from both sides, so I doubt there would be any benefit to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted