1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How different is INdesign as opposed to QuarkXPress?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by roxraidersfan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. That could be true. Although, having worked with both, InDesign blows Quark out of the water.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

I'm sure that's true, but why are so many changing?

3. It works a lot better with other design-related programs, such as Photoshop and Illustrator, because they're all Adobe products. And the interaction with InCopy, another Adobe product, is seamless.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

The Indesign folks tell y
    ou t
    The Indesign folks tell you this, but recommend you take the few days to learn the Indesign steps. Their reasoning, and it makes sense, is that its better to break free completely from Quark.
    Its easier to learn than you think

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm going to be looking for some of you when we switch over in mid-summer.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Bring all the questions you want, but like so many other things, it's repetition, repetition, repetition (which, of course, is repetitive). It's a great program and not that difficult to pick up if you have any experience with Photoshop.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I copy-and-paste my way through life, so that should work well for me. ;)

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I worked at a paper that was one of the first to use InDesign, I believe. It was a complete mess, but the only saving grace was the fact that it saved your page if you crashed. At our shop, it crashed A LOT. But knowing that the damn thing was there was a life saver.

The only problem we had was it crashed so much, you could easily get flustered. I think my biggest mistake was late one night it crashed three or four times in a 20-30 minute period. I was buried with pages, deadline was looming and I completely forgot to jump a story about a coach dying. It was a mistake on my part, but I'm certain if I hadn't gone through a gauntlet of crashes, the mistake wouldn't have happened.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

spent my first day on indesign from quark on friday with zero (can there be less than zero?) training and felt like i'd been hit by a truck by the end of the day. a friend who long ago made the switch keeps telling me how much more i'll like indesign when all is said and done but right now i just feel out of sorts.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Moving to a new system always feels like that initially. It always gets better.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What the hell is wrong with newspapers? Can't they even let someone have training available after hours, at least so people can learn the ropes?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Put one computer loaded with InDesign in a conference room or cafeteria, at least so you could have 10 minutes to use it.

I know, it sounds like it makes sense, which is why it doesn't ever happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted