1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did your paper play the NCAA women's basketball championship game?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We made it main story on B4. Big pic and full story however long it was. UK caching search was centerpiece, along with other local.

2. accguy

accguy Member

Our place had an AP story on the bottom right corner of the sports cover. Other four items on the cover (two pro games, one Masters piece and a column) were all staff written.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Strip overplay w/art. Podunk U, with their new lightning rod of a coach, was spring practicing that same day.

rb

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Local rag (I don't work there, thankfully) put it on page 3. Put the men's game on page 3 too. Latter case an example of taking local a bit too far.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

We did about the same, and for mostly the same reasons. We had local stuff that day, but the only art we had for those stories were mugshots. I needed some big art, so I used the women's title game. I think I waited for the second or third writethrough on it.
    I held for the men's game the night before, but only long enough to get the first 7-10-incher on the page. I actually ran the Day 2 story from the men's championship on the inside (for shame!).

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We regularly staff UT games, so it was our CP.

7. Jim Murray

Jim Murray New Member

women sports? ha, maybe in our weekly neighborhood insert. now babe didrikson, boy, she was an athlete - not much of a looker, but one tough girl.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Narrow strip across the section front w/2-col photo. Wire copy. Masters centerpiece.

9. Pi

Pi Member

The what?

10. Page 4. Where it belonged. Thank goodness Title IX can't touch the newspaper industry.

11. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

We ran it about 1.5 columns with art on section page. Story was about 10-12 inch APer. We're a paper in Michigan, and CP was story & a column on the hiring of John Beilein as Michigan basketball coach.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hey, but the JV soccer mothers are just thrilled with their front-page coverage. Everybody on the street is talking about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted