1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did `your' newspaper cover and play the NCAA men's basketball tournament championship game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Apr 7, 2021.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Nothing on Tuesday. Baylor feature on Wednesday.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Google says Ventura is printed by the LA Times but that was a 2017 article, so that may no longer be accurate.

At an old shop, the company invested in some cutting edge technology that allowed pages to be transmitted wirelessly and the newsroom moved to the old corporate HQ, while the press stayed behind. That was 21 years ago. Then they paid to have a T-1 line installed that allowed the copy desk in one town to build the pages for another paper owned by the company about 50 miles away. And, in a true story, one of the deskers there later went on to work for Gatehouse and used that experience to pitch then build the design hub they have/had in Austin. With the Gannett purchase, I don't know or care if it is still open.

The T-1 line was a daily adventure as sometimes it just wouldn't work and the PDFs had to be copied to a flash and driven to the other paper. The wireless connection was much better but it even it had some occasional hiccups but that was much more manageable.

As for the 100 papers, I think Gannett is already there. If you were in Tennessee and driving across the state and bought a copy of each Gannett paper, I think you'd have very few pages that were much different. So, essentially, they're just zoned editions of a Tennessee daily with a different fronts, a jump page or two and a local news page. So if the daily page count was 24, you might have 16 that are exactly the same, with the remainder zoned to each city/region.

So, for sports, everyone wants the Vols and the Titans and because of deadlines they aren't covering high school sports live. As for news, deadlines have wiped next day coverage of local meetings and such, so, essentially, that means no breaking news in print and putting together dummies for just a handful of pages would be comically easy for the experienced. But since all these people have, for the most part, got gone, the struggle is, I suspect, very real.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Your occasional reminder that Memphis being in Tennessee is a mere technicality in the minds of locals.

4. superhater

superhater Member

Same. Second-day story went on the bottom half of the rail out front. As a smaller suburban paper, will never play wire over local, even when the whole tournament is being played less than 30 minutes away. People ain't buying our paper for our Baylor coverage...TJD deciding to return to IU was the biggest college hoop story in our coverage area last week.

5. Dan Omlor

Dan Omlor New Member

The Lexington Herald moved its printing to the Louisville Courier Journal. Now both the Herald and Courier are moving their printing to Nashville. So anything in the evening is covered two days later. "Yesterday's news tomorrow" is the new cliche among disgruntled readers. However, on another note, the Pittsburgh Post Gazette still prints locally (a few miles outside the city center in Findlay Township), and has some of the best high school coverage in the country. Back in the 20th Century, the Herald and Courier had far better sports pages than the Post Gazette. Now it's 100% reversed. They're awful and it's great.

6. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

I love college basketball, but there are huge swaths of the country where it just doesn't move the needle at all. And the Gonzaga-Baylor matchup had no juice nationally. (Yes, I know they were the top two teams all year.) I can't imagine many metro papers outside of Texas, the West Coast and some Indiana/Kentucky papers with huge college basketball interest & within driving distance of the arena bothered to send anyone. I know my former metro did not; I doubt it was even considered.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

520,000 people dead and there's concern over whether amateur players+fraudulent supercoach are getting the proper respect in the fishwrapper. Fuck them.

superhater likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted