1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How dependent are you on technology?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Dec 6, 2008.

?

Um...how dependent are you on technology?

1. I am completely lost as a human being without my cell phone, Tivo, GPS and internet.

38.1%
  2. I use a lot of technology, but I could survive without most of it.

54.8%
  3. I could take it or leave it.

4.8%
  4. I refuse to join Facebook, but order things online.

2.4%
  5. I still have a rotary-dial phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Can't live without... Treo for internet access, camera and phone... navigation... Tivo.... iPod... iTouch... XM... HD... my hybrid...

But I'm not on Facebook, so I'll probably die an early death.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Wait until we tell you about e-books.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Noob.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I use my cell and my internet, but I just got cable like a month ago and I have no idea how the TIVO works and if it would be worth paying for.

I like technology, but could function without it.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

If you add "Could live in a cave without much of a lifestyle change," I'll vote in the poll.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This may be the best post in the last four months. :D

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm sort of having a falling out with technology. The only thing I really heart is downloading the podcasts I can't miss on my mp3 player. I used to spend a lot of time downloading music and movies, but found out I never watched or listened to most of it. I hate texting, but accept it. Facebook, myspace etc. never agreed with me because I'm a fairly private person. I do use those services, but primarily as a way to see what's going on with my favorite artists, authors, causes...etc. I'm really good with directions, so no GPS needed. Fuck all the air band video games.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That seems to be less of a problem than it once was, though. The computer I'm typing this on right now is more than four years old and works perfectly well and does pretty much everything the brand-new model does, though slightly more slowly -- though not enough to notice. It used to be that a four-year-old computer was worthless.

A student of mine said something recently that made a lot of sense -- he said I'm at a good age (34), because I'm young enough to understand and embrace technology but old enough that I'm not a slave to it, like his peer group (college sophomores) is.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm very comfortable with technology to a point. I love having my laptop, I'm pretty adept with my cell phone, I (eventually) mastered the use of a digital camera and can now upload like nobody's business.

However, I still keep around pads of paper and pens. I still don't trust my digital recorder to always work. And sometimes, there's nothing like a good old fashioned newspaper.

Plus, there are some things I just will not abide by. Text messaging (since I have to pay 20 cents every time I send or receive one) and twittering. Ain't no way I want any part of tweeting. That's what a bird does, fuckers!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Somewhat. I'm a complete e-mail addict, yet not on Facebook. Don't have an iPod or a burning desire to own one. Have a DVR and won't watch TV without it. Have an ordinary cell phone but maybe send five texts a month and never do internet or any of that. Love MapQuest but will never put a GPS in the car (call me a driving purist).

I guess like MacDaddy said (and I'm the same age), I'm not a slave to technology. I like it that way.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I could survive without my technology, but I would have trouble with it in the beginning. I depend on Google to tell me what I want to know quickly, Mapquest to tell me how to get where I want to go without asking anyone, my cell phone for remembering phone numbers (and calling someone at the drop of a hat) and SportsJournalists.com for finding reasons to have sex.

I could live without, Tivo and satellite for that matter, but I'd hate to give up being able to download movies. Oh I'd hate to not have youtube to provide senseless entertainment.

I've been trying to get back to being old-fashioned in the kitchen though. I've given up 99% of already prepared (i.e. frozen) meals. If I want some kind of casserole or saucy, chickeny, noodly type of dinner, I figure out how to make it myself. For the past month or so, I've been cooking everything from scratch. You know, like grandma used to do. It's really not that hard, and the food tastes much better. Oh, and I pretty much never use the microwave, unless it's just to reheat some leftovers. It's been really nice.

So I guess I could give up the frills from the kitchen, but I'm not quite as willing to give up the other helpful things on the technology side.

Draft saved Draft deleted