1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How dependent are you on technology?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Dec 6, 2008.

?

Um...how dependent are you on technology?

1. I am completely lost as a human being without my cell phone, Tivo, GPS and internet.

38.1%
  2. I use a lot of technology, but I could survive without most of it.

54.8%
  3. I could take it or leave it.

4.8%
  4. I refuse to join Facebook, but order things online.

2.4%
  5. I still have a rotary-dial phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Flash

Flash Guest

I've been using it as a tool for sharing information.

3. I just discovered these things called books.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Like Facebook?

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I don't have Tivo, and once I find my way somewhere once, I don't need a map or GPS to get me there again (built-in GPS is such a nice feature, except when the boys get mad because you're always right and they're not/lost), but my cell phone (now that I have a web/e-mail-capable one) is my lifeline. If I'm not attached to my phone, it's probably because I'm at the gym (with my iPod) or watching TV while working on my laptop. The only times I use a pen and paper these days are when I'm taking running/stats/etc. of a game I'm covering. Haven't figured out a way I like to do that on my computer yet, so I don't.

But every so often, I appreciate the break from the wires. I've started reading books and getting things done when I fly, and I do have a couple friends I talk to on the phone more than IM.

But once I hit 24 hours sans e-mail and IM (and internet in general), I start to lose it a little ...

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember working before voice-mail, faxes, the internet, computers were even concepts.

You corresponded by snail mail on an IBM Selectric typewriter

If you wrote a business letter on a Monday, you'd hope to receive an answer no later than the following Monday.

Your secretary kept carbon copies of all your correspondence on file.

If you phoned someone at their office and they weren't there, their girl would take down the message on those pink message slips.

That's less than 30 years ago.

Now of course, if someone sends you an e-mail, they want a reply within the hour.

All these things are just tools to supposedly make one's life simpler and more manageable. Hasn't exactly worked out according to plan

That said, I can't imagine life without computers, the internet or cell phones.

GPS is a nice bonus but HC is the best damn road map reader around. :) It's still a great toy.

I' guess I'm old fashioned because I don't have an iPod, I still listen to CD's and watch movies on DVD. I do, however, have satellite radio which I love.
    But books have survived all the new technology we can throw up against them.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I love reading maps.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One of my kids is about as tech savy as any 20 year old but he hates GPS systems.

"Learn to read a map".

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If someone stole my cell, I'd probably go crazy. No, I don't enjoy chatting about what you had stuck in your teeth at lunch. Like zeke and others, I don't know phone numbers aside from a few random family digits.

While on the subject, have your older family members adjusted to technology? Are they willing to try new things? Or do you get the "we used the Pony Express and we liked it" response?

I only ask because my 60-year old father is pining for a new TYPEWRITER this Christmas. The man just wants nothing to do with computers ... or the 21st century. ::)

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Trey, I'm almost as old as your dad and I'd love an Iphone or a Mac laptop for Xmas. (Hi, HC! :) )

I love new technology but I know exactly where your dad is coming from.

I've worked with computers (hello, old Mac Classic) since the mid to late 80's. The new stuff doesn't bother me. The planned obsolescence, however, annoys the crap out of me

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't really have an ADD-ish, need-to-be-entertained-every-second personality, but I think technology has made me that way. If I've got a down moment at work (say, three minutes before a meeting starts) I'm checking Facebook on my phone. It's addictive.

I think I could unplug if I had to, but it would be hard at first.

Draft saved Draft deleted