1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How cold is it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jan 14, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Heard something on Weather Channel last week I hadn't heard before, about temperature transferrance. As the air moves, it picks up the temperature of whatever's on the surface. If it's warm water, then the air warms up. If it's ice/snow, then the air cools. In the weather of the last week, this perpetuated the cold weather.

Perhaps it's just TWC 101 and everybody else already knew as much. Just never occurred to me.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I returned to NYC from La Jolla on Saturday. Now I'm wondering why.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The freezing rain, and the resulting slush I had to wade through this morning, was a real treat.

FYI, courtesy of my girlfriend, who grew up in France. When it's cold, they say "Gla gla gla."

I feel silly saying that, and I make plenty fun of it -- and many other things about the French -- but honestly, it is gla gla gla out there.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Snow started about 1 a.m., turned to freezing rain for a while, now all rain.
    Ankle deep slush is just wonderful to slog through.

5. doogie448

doogie448 Member

It's so cold that people actually become more stupid.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Cold as a witch's tit wearing a brass-plated bra doing push-ups in the snow.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It has nothing to do with the topic, but the phrase east Tennessee always triggers in my head these lines from Jason Isbell and the Drive-by Truckers' Decoration Day:

Well, I got dead brothers in Lauderdale south
    and I got dead brothers in east Tennessee
    My daddy got shot right in front of his house;
    he had no one to fall on but me

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There's something you see every day!

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

One of the bands I sang with used to sing that song.

It actually warmed up to 10 above today - very much a heat wave.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It is a blistering 2 degrees here. Wind chill is -17, though. Supposed to see -30 by tonight.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hit about -30C with the windchill today (about -22 F). Sure felt that standing on Lakeshore this morning waiting for the streetcar.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

So you mean you sang that song? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted